Cold aging cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urtalkn2Diz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Did my first batches of cider this year. They've been aging for about a 1.5 months now in the basement fridge.

1 gallon test batch: Wow what a difference a few weeks can make. 8.6% abv but it still tastes great.

3 gallon batch: is still tart so I'm thinking it may be atleast another 2 months before its ready for back sweetening with frozen concentrate.

Question is: Does cold aging refine the taste the same way it does in beers? Anyone know of tables showing aging temps vs final taste?

I haven't seen any charts for this. It would be interesting to see. I'm sure there's some sort of bell curve depending on how they are stored and how they are bottled. I opened a (capped) beer that was 10 years old about a month ago and it had oxidized so bad I had to dump it. (It had been stored at 55ºF in complete darkness) I wasn't making ciders back then, so I don't have anything to compare to.

I imagine a corked cider stored at 60ºF or so would last indefinitely???

That said, I'm sure there's others who have old ciders to share their experience.

Back