Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For $20, give or take, you can get a popcorn air popper and roast your own. Green beans cost half, or less, than quality pre-roasted coffee. Last green beans I bought were about $6.50 a pound. Roasted coffee of this quality would cost you ~$15lb. Only a couple pounds and you've about paid for the roaster, and roasting a batch (albeit a small batch) only takes 5-8 minutes, depending.

Very good.

Research it. It's quite common (relatively) for those that home roast.

Beans I roasted on the left, commercially roasted beans on the right. Bear in mind this picture is of my very first roast.

IMG-20140120-00056.jpg

About 1/3 cup per roast. Time is short though, 5 min give or take for the roast itself. Then a few minutes to cool it, etc.

About 1/3 cup per roast. Time is short though, 5 min give or take for the roast itself. Then a few minutes to cool it, etc.

I really push my popper. Ethiopian beans are kind of small and I always do 1/2 C and have even tried 3/4 C. You have to ditch the plastic popper lid and use a soup can to do this. I suspect I am shortening the life of the popper, but it has been taking the abuse.

I use a 6" (#3) cast iron skillet and a Revereware lid. Last night I roasted 200g, about 2 cups. It takes about 15 minutes to roast, then another five minutes in a colander to cool.

I use Guatemalan beans from Sweet Maria’s http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php Nice people, great selection.

I don’t drink coffee every day, it makes sense for me to buy green coffee, which lasts for months, if not years. A big plus is having control of the roast. Most commercial coffee is over-roasted. If it’s black and shiny the best flavors are gone.

We've been roasting our own coffee for years now, maybe 8?, and it is great.

We get 50# sacks of Java, and roast on one of these:
8245.jpg

This one has lasted a long time so far.

pb

I use a 6" (#3) cast iron skillet and a Revereware lid. Last night I roasted 200g, about 2 cups. It takes about 15 minutes to roast, then another five minutes in a colander to cool.

I use Guatemalan beans from Sweet Maria’s http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php Nice people, great selection.

I don’t drink coffee every day, it makes sense for me to buy green coffee, which lasts for months, if not years. A big plus is having control of the roast. Most commercial coffee is over-roasted. If it’s black and shiny the best flavors are gone.

I'm a big fan of Sweet Maria's for green beans... but I prefer the Ethiopian coffees, myself, as well as some of the Indonesian/Far East coffees. I usually buy a sampler from them when I order so I can expose myself to other beans from other areas as well.

And regarding the roast-- I prefer to taste the origin, like you. However, many people I know prefer to taste the roast instead. I don't understand it, but a lot of it is what they are used to.

Back