Coffee Stout recipe please review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnReynolds

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a coffee stout for the first time this coming weekend and wanted to get some opinions on the recipe I have come up with. Please let me know what you think. I am really interested in seeing the communities thoughts on the grains that I am using.

Batch Size: 10 Gallons
OG: 1.084
FG: 1.018
IBU: 56.7
Color: 25.6 SRM

25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) (75.8%)
3 lb Caramel/Crystal 80 L (9.1%)
1 lb Chocolate Malt (3.0%)
1 lb Special B (3.0 %)
1 lb Roasted Barley (3.0 %)
2 lb Flaked Oats (6.1%)
3 oz Chinook @ 60 min
2 Pkg California Ale – White Labs #WLP001

I am going to add espresso coffee to the secondary using this method. Coffee Cold extraction - Add .5 lb of ground offee to 24 ounces of cold filtered water in a sanitized container. All this to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then run the mixture through a coffee filter.
I feel that the malts I have chosen will blend well with the coffee. Giving notes of caramel, chocolate, and coffee. Please let me know what you guys think.

Special b may give you a little more prune/raisin than you desire, maybe consider simpsons coffee malt?

I'd eliminate the Special B, add at least 8oz of Black Patent malt and up your coffee addition. I've done both the cold brew method that you mention as well as adding whole coffee beans directly to the fermentor for 24 hours, and find that there's little to no difference in the coffee extraction between the methods. The whole bean method is easy, so I default to that now. I typically add at least 12oz of whole beans per 5 gallons, which gives a nice big coffee profile. If you want something more subtle, you could go with less. Either way, remember the coffee notes will begin to fade after a few weeks, so I tend to err on the side of more coffee. YMMV.

Thanks everyone for your input. I did eliminate the special b and in its place put in some black patent malt. Brew day went ok had some issues with my plate chiller clogging up and had to use an ice bath to cool it down instead.

Back