Coffee stout mellow out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
I dry hopped my chocolate milk stout with 5oz of crushed Sumatra blend beans for 2 days before kegging it a week ago. Poured my first pint of it last night, and it was very coffee forward. I enjoyed it, but I'm a huge fan of coffee. This is also my first shot at brewing with coffee. So my question : do this with experience with this know if the coffee flavor will mellow out and blend with the rest of the beer as it conditions over time?

My experience has been that coffee flavor fades quite a bit with time. I bet you will be able to tell a difference by 6 months or so, maybe sooner.

My experience has been that coffee flavor fades quite a bit with time. I bet you will be able to tell a difference by 6 months or so, maybe sooner.

Hopefully sooner, I'd like to have the room in my kegerator sooner than that!

You could always force-carb it in the keg then bottle off the kegs for longer term storage if you need to reclaim the keg space for other beers.

The coffee will likely mellow out over the 6 months, but that isn't to imply you HAVE to wait 6 months. It's gonna mellow somewhat every day, albeit insignificantly if measured day-by-day. If you like it, drink it at your leisure and just see what the flavor does over time. That way you're drunk, happy, and get room in your kegerator soon!

We dry hopped 3.5 oz of vanilla whole bean coffee 4 days before bottling.
After 3-4 weeks conditioning, it was way over in the coffee. After another month it's quite good now.
I'll use a non vanilla flavored bean and slightly less in the future.

Ps. I'm talking about a 5 gallon batch

Back