Coffee porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
My buddy makes real good expressos and I make a pretty good porter/stout. I would like to combine the two. He does use a good amount of milk in his coffee when he brews it. I know the milk should act just like lactose but will it spoil the beer? When would I add the coffee to the brew? In the secondary? Or when I bottle and how much? Thanks y'all!

I wouldn't put a milk and/or fresh dairy product in to a beer... IMHO, that's just asking for trouble. You could add it to either the primary, or a secondary if you use one.

Also, the coffee geek in me would like to point out the proper spelling of "espresso", and that adding "a good amount" of milk makes it not really an espresso anymore. Sorry, reflex. Brew on!

evrose said:
I wouldn't put a milk and/or fresh dairy product in to a beer... IMHO, that's just asking for trouble. You could add it to either the primary, or a secondary if you use one.

Also, the coffee geek in me would like to point out the proper spelling of "espresso", and that adding "a good amount" of milk makes it not really an espresso anymore. Sorry, reflex. Brew on!

Thanks for the vocab lesson! For a 5 gal batch, how much "espresso" should I put in?

Thanks for the vocab lesson! For a 5 gal batch, how much "espresso" should I put in?

I'll have to defer that question to others who have more experience with this type of brew. Try searching the forums here - odds are someone has asked this previously.

I'd LOVE to try a coffee porter someday soon - what a fantastic blend of my two favorite drinks. Good luck.

You could try adding lactose to the beer for that milk sweetness. I would could brew the espresso otherwise you will be adding some harshness. I am doing a coffee porter sometime for the fall and was going to experiment with some of the coffee malts to get my coffee flavor/aroma.

For my mocha porter I put in a pot of brewed dark roast coffee during the last 5 minutes of the boil and get a subtle coffee flavor. It will depend on your preference how much espresso to add (subtle to bold). And there are many different ways to add coffee (e.g. cold steeping ground coffee over night, added to secondary, added at bottling, etc.). I just found a method that gave me the result I was looking for and stuck with it.

Wildcat_Fan said:
For my mocha porter I put in a pot of brewed dark roast coffee during the last 5 minutes of the boil and get a subtle coffee flavor. It will depend on your preference how much espresso to add (subtle to bold). And there are many different ways to add coffee (e.g. cold steeping ground coffee over night, added to secondary, added at bottling, etc.). I just found a method that gave me the result I was looking for and stuck with it.

Thanks Wildcat!

When I made my coffee porter I saved brewed coffee in a gallon milk jug over several days until I had a gallon. just store in you refrigerator until ready to use. Add coffee to secondary. Had a good coffee flavor.

Of course this only works if your household doesn't kill off the morning coffee.

Coming a bit late to the party... just wanted to say that I do believe adding your coffee flavour at the bottling stage will give you the best result. Adding coffee during mash or boil will give you some interesting flavour and bitterness, but not the fresh aroma you hope to achieve. Having tried other methods, I suspect cold extraction is the best way to go to get your fresh coffee aroma, but combine it with mash and boil additions for the full fledged Coffee experience.

Latest posts

Back