Coffee Oat Porter (Breakfast porter?) recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycook

Reaction score
Will try this soon to see if the coffee malt will add coffee like flavors. I have to resist the strong urge to add more and more different ingredients.

8 lbs maris otter
4 lbs brown malt
2 lbs flaked oats
1 lbs coffee malt
.75 lbs black patent
.5 lbs chocolate malt

1 oz willamette hops @ 60
1 oz UK Fuggle hops @ 45
1 oz UK Fuggle hops @ 30
1 oz UK Fuggle hops @ 15

Wyeast 1968 (London ESB)

Have you used this recipe before? I would strongly recommend cutting down the Black Patent malt. 2lbs is a lot. I think that would be very bitter and astringent. Definitely would be more towards a Stout than a porter.

Hi.

The only malt I know for sure it gives coffee aromas is this one https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1392

I tried it in my Stout ( 7.5% ) which is now bottle conditioning and I can definitely taste it, although no coffee was added. Very smooth to the palate.

Regarding the rest of the recipe, I would try to squeeze a bit of crystal in the grainbill. Maybe something like Crystal 120 L or Special B. I think the oats are quite possibly on the low side. I would up that a bit. The Stout I mentioned above had 2.2 lb and it gave it a really slick mouthfeel to the brew, almost honey like.

Back