Coffee Maple Porter Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpingComet

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. First shot at a porter recipe and of course I'm diving right into something complex. Would really value any thoughts or advice.
Cheers! :mug:

60 minute boil.

Fermentables
6 lb. Light LME
1 lb. Dark DME

Steeping
.5 American Chocolate
.5 American Black

Boil
1 oz. East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1 oz. Willamette (40 min)
1 oz. Willamette (30 min)
16 oz Maple Syrup (5 minutes)

Yeast
US-05

4 oz whole coffee beans added to primary for 4 days after fermentation is complete.

I would try and find munich malt extract in place of that dark malt extract or all light LME. Going that way I would add a 1/2# of crystal 30.

I would also simplify the hop schedule something like this:
1 oz EKG at 60
2 oz Willamette at 15
maple syrup at 5

That would give you a solid porter for the maple syrup. This recipe will give you something like 6.7% ABV. Personally I would eliminate a pound of LME (5 total) and keep the ABV around 5.9%. Still a respectable amount of booze for an american porter. Should be good either way

I've been playing around with this one a little bit.
I replaced the dark DME with Munich as suggested and in the steeping grains I went away from the American Black as i heard it can be a bit harsh and went with some Crystal 40 and roasted barley instead. I also played with the hop schedule.

Fermentables
6 lb. Light LME
1 lb. Munich DME

Steeping
.5 lb American Chocolate
.5 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb roasted barley

Boil
2 oz. Willamette (20 min)

Yeast
US-05

4 oz whole coffee beans added to primary for 4 days after fermentation is complete.

So this one ended up really great, even though it ended up being a bit of a Frankenstein. Through an inventory mix up, I ended up with 3 pounds of extra light LME and three pounds of amber LME. Also, due to a kink thrown into the scheduling, the coffee beans were in the primary for 8 days instead of 4. It's very coffee-forward, but really good.

Fermentables
3 lb. Extra Light LME
3 lb. Amber
1 lb. Munich DME

Steeping
.5 lb American Chocolate
.5 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb roasted barley

Boil
2 oz. Willamette (20 min)

Yeast
US-05

4 oz whole coffee beans added to primary for 8 days after fermentation is complete.

Are you getting much of the maple out of it? I was led to believe that simply adding maple syrup (at any point where there's active yeast) will just bump up the abv, dry it out and not really add much maple flavor.

Not so much a rich maple flavor, but some nice, subtle sweetness that balanced out the bitterness of the coffee.

Latest posts

Back