Coffee into the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elky

Reaction score
Recently I brewed up a porter with the intention of putting some coffee into the secondary. Well life got in the way and I totally forgot to add the coffee until the brew had been sitting under gas (serving pressure) in the keg for a couple days. I tried it a few hours later and the coffee taste was strong. fast forward a few days and I decided to rush the carb; I'm drinking the first pint now. The beer still has a very strong coffee flavor to it which I'm really enjoying, the thing is I'm not sure if it will stay. I added a half of a mason jar of chilled coffee and I really didn't expect this much flavor. Would more of the coffee have settled to the bottom making the first few pints more flavorful? I'm still pretty new to this so I just don't know if the amount I added would affect the taste as much as it has for this first pull.

Any thoughts?

No idea, but I'm curious also. I would imagine that when you secondary beans to get a coffee flavor, it will infuse into the whole batch, and I would imagine that brewed coffee might not infuse as well.

But I'm sure I'm most likely wrong.

Good chance the coffee flavor will remain. By adding it to the Keg post fermentation there is not a lot of yeast still active to really break it down therefore it's kind of like you took a glass of beer and just poured coffee in it. The two liquids are just mixed together.

Latest posts

Back