Coffee in a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayneh

Reaction score
How much brewed coffee should I put in a 5gal stout? Just so it's a hint; not to strong coffee taste.

I’d guess ¾ of a pint, cold pressed in the bottling bucket or secondary would work nicely for what you’re looking for. I've used 1 pint and it is more than just a hint. Nothing scientific to my guess/reply :)

What's cold press. I was going to add brewed pot of coffee.

Cold Press

To make coffee using the cold press method, you will need a pitcher, small carafe or tall jar with a lid to hold the coffee, a tall glass or mason jar for the brewing process, a second glass to pour the brewed coffee into and a kitchen strainer. Using a 4:1 ratio of water to coffee grounds, mix them together in the brewing container and cover for three hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Strain the coffee mixture through the filter into the second glass, then pour it into the serving container.

Read more: French Press Vs. Cold Press Coffee | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5333035_french-vs-cold-press-coffee.html#ixzz27yv5Ter6
Many people also use a french press.

I used 4oz of ground coffee (by weight) in 12oz of water and added it at bottling. It is a nice smooth taste and not overwhelming.

I made a breakfast stout and put 2 oz of coffee in at flameout for about 10 minutes. Then after primary, I soaked 2 oz of coffee in vodka overnight and added the coffee and vodka to the secondary for about a week. Mine has a pretty strong coffee smell/taste though, so maybe do one or the other for just a hint. Steeping at flame out is easier so I might go with that if I were you.

There are varying amounts and ways you can use coffee. I have heard a lot of people putting it in secondary or before bottling to get a smoother flavor. Some people soak the beans in vodka for a couple weeks and then pour that into the brew. If you want a more subtle coffee flavor I would do it that way or cold pressed as recommended.

Latest posts

Back