coffee grounds in mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregonducks10

Reaction score
I've brewed a coffee stout when I was still doing extract brewing, where I cold brewed it and added during bottling. But with all grain I was wondering if there would be any off flavors if the coffee grounds were added to the mash with grains.

I've brewed a coffee stout when I was still doing extract brewing, where I cold brewed it and added during bottling. But with all grain I was wondering if there would be any off flavors if the coffee grounds were added to the mash with grains.

Brew a cup of coffee and then boil it. That is how it will taste in your beer.

Think of coffee grounds like it's crushed malt - if it's held at too high a temperature, or sits in water too long, or is brewed with too much water, you will get bitterness and astringency. That might actually help you to match what your end-goal beer is; it will also help lower the mash pH. Keep in mind though that if you are brewing a darker beer, the roasted malts will already be providing all the astringency, bitterness, and acidity you need.

I'd personally prefer brewing it separately and then adding it to your chilled wort, but that's just me.

I made a nice coffee porter buy just adjusting my recipe to 9 gallons. Then just bump it up so that when you add the cold brewed coffee the numbers will be the same.

Thanks guys that's what I kind of thought, just adding to bottling. But I've seen few recipes where people added to the mash.

Latest posts

Back