Coffee Chocolate Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
So, I will first off say that I am not a Stout drinker, never have been (never found one I liked). So.... a few weeks ago I went to the local pub that also brews their own beer, and tried their signature stout, since everyone rages about it. It was unfreakinbelieveable.

It's so hard to explain, but the taste has a nice strong taste, a good chocolate aroma, with an excellent coffee aftertaste.

I want to try something similar, and I have no idea where to start. I'm still not ready to do All-Grain as I just don't have the equipment. I'm willing to do a partial mash, and I've already done the steeping thing.

What extracts or specialty grains should I start looking for? In a Stout like this, is there actual coffee in it, or is that a taste from the grains?

Please help this Ale guy out!!

Thanks!

I'm sure there is a kit from AHS that is similar. Check out there site under stouts and look through the characteristics.

For stouts like that, they actually have coffee and cocoa. If you can find them, Bell's Brewery has their Java Stout out now, and Southern Tier's Mokah is the best stout I've ever had with coffee and cocoa. For lack of a better cafe anyone here would know, lol, it tastes like beer you'd get at Startbucks.

I wouldn't suggest a partial mash if you're trying your hand at something like this. I'd go with extract and whatever specialty grains for steeping you think would fit. Perhaps a light and Amber extract with a medium chocolate malt and perhaps a higher roasted crystal/caramel.

With the coffee and cocoa you're going to be working against some added bitterness.

I'm sure there is a kit from AHS that is similar. Check out there site under stouts and look through the characteristics.

I already looked through these, and it was still difficult to decide on what I'd like. They have chocolate stouts and coffee stouts, but not both :confused:

Contact them and ask....good folks. The owner chimes in from time to time he may be able to help out. The type of stout you are refering to is one of my favorites.

stouts are awesome! Youngs Double Chocolate Stout is a very very good stout! This one sounds awesome too! keep us posted on what you may find!!

Here is a recipe that I made and was very happy with. It is based off Founder's Breakfast Stout which is one of the gold standards of coffee chocolate stouts.

5 gallon

8 lbs LME-Light

1.375 lbs Flaked Oats

1 lb American Chocolate Malt

0.75 lbs American Roasted Barley

0.50 lbs German Carafa III De-Husked Malt

0.50 lbs Crystal 120L

Steep grains at 155 F for 30 minutes

Extras

1.5 ozs Unsweetend Baking Chocolate @ 5 min

2.5 ozs Dark Bittersweet chocolate @ 5 min

2 oz Cold Pressed Sumatran Coffee @ 5 min

2 oz Cold Pressed Kona Coffee @ 0 min

Hops

1 oz Nugget @ 60

0.50 oz Glacier @ 30

0.50 oz Glacier @ Flame Out

How is the coffee cold pressed? I don't even have a coffee maker at my house except for a Keurig. I assume it's cold brewed? I've cold brewed before for chocolate coffee brownies, etc.

Does that just mean cold brew 2 oz of coffee in how much water?

Yeah I am also interested in what that means. 2 oz of coffee or 2 oz of coffee grounds? I also wonder how dark of a roast to use. Seems like too dark and it would just taste like "roasted" and the coffee taste would be lost. . . something more medium? Even a breakfast blend?

How is the coffee cold pressed? I don't even have a coffee maker at my house except for a Keurig. I assume it's cold brewed? I've cold brewed before for chocolate coffee brownies, etc.

Does that just mean cold brew 2 oz of coffee in how much water?

Honestly I didn't really measure, I just added to taste. Also if you don't have a coffee press just coarsly grind the coffee put in cold water for about 24 hrs and strain with a normal coffee filter, this should work fine.

The few kits that have "Peace Coffee" seem to be coarsely ground coffee that is added to the secondary...

I wonder if I can go find some decent quality coffee beans at the local store and have it ground there?

Honestly I would bet any kind of good coffee would work. I am not a coffee connoisseur so I could probably not tell the difference between types of coffee.

So, I will first off say that I am not a Stout drinker, never have been (never found one I liked). So.... a few weeks ago I went to the local pub that also brews their own beer, and tried their signature stout, since everyone rages about it. It was unfreakinbelieveable.

It's so hard to explain, but the taste has a nice strong taste, a good chocolate aroma, with an excellent coffee aftertaste.

I want to try something similar, and I have no idea where to start. I'm still not ready to do All-Grain as I just don't have the equipment. I'm willing to do a partial mash, and I've already done the steeping thing.

What extracts or specialty grains should I start looking for? In a Stout like this, is there actual coffee in it, or is that a taste from the grains?

Please help this Ale guy out!!

Thanks!

Was this at Freetail?

By the way, if that recipe is close to Founder's Breakfast Stout, it will be extraordinarily good. That's one of the best beers I've ever tasted.

Was this at Freetail?

By the way, if that recipe is close to Founder's Breakfast Stout, it will be extraordinarily good. That's one of the best beers I've ever tasted.

Haha yeah... I know it wont be like Freetails, but man, that changed my mind on Stouts :)

In looking at the different recipes on here, and BYO, they all seem to sit around 7.5%. Should we be adding more LME in here?

Also, why the Light LME instead of the Dark LME? What is the difference in flavor comparison?

The Imperial Stout that's on Northern Brewers site uses 12lbs of LME.

In looking at the different recipes on here, and BYO, they all seem to sit around 7.5%. Should we be adding more LME in here?

Also, why the Light LME instead of the Dark LME? What is the difference in flavor comparison?

The Imperial Stout that's on Northern Brewers site uses 12lbs of LME.

I don't know, I still consider myself a novice. BYO had a Founders Breakfast Stout clone in the Jan-Feb 09 issue, it use to be on their website but it doesn't look like it still is maybe somebody on here has that issue. If I remeber correctly the recipe I posted was very much like the recipe from BYO. Here is a link where I got the recipe I posted, keep in mind the recipe is for a 10 gallon batch, he has a lot more info posted such a ABV and so on.

http://www.bbbrew.com/index.php?page=brewBlogDetail&&filter=buergermeister&id=13&pg=1

The last batch I brewed was the Founders Breakfast Stout clone in the Recipes / Stout section. It turned out great....lots of chocolate and coffee in the recipe.

One another site I read it was possible to take coffee and cold steep it overnight, then add it to the wort at the beginning of the boil. I did this the other night with a dark lager brew so I guess I'll see how it turns out.

Has anyone heard of that method?

Well I popped one in the fridge today, after being bottled for 2 weeks. Damn it was good. This is what makes me want to keep brewing!!

Back