Coconut extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeitadouble

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to homebrewing since January. Been brewing some dry irish stout enough that I feel like playing around with the recipie a bit.

I plan to put in some coconut extract into the next batch but am unsure how much to add.

A little info. Its a simple extract recipie
-10 gallon batch (2 fermentors)
OSG is usually around 1.040 (I need to brew lighter styles of beer for health reasons)
-6.6 lbs DME
-2 lbs honey
-2 oz E kent golding
-Its going to be kegged

I read on another thread that somebody suggested pouring a glass of a compatible stout (I have some regular recipe on tap now) then adding the extract to it to get a good ratio. Seems like good logic to me.

Thoughts?

Watkins make a coconut extract. i have tried brewing with extracts before (mint and chocolate), and anything from the LHBS or the grocer pales in comparison. im going to do a toasted coconut stout soon, and plan to sautee the coconut flakes in a dry skillet. for some reason i didnt even think to use extract.
maybe i'll revise my plan...

made my own extract. get a non-stick skillet big enough to hold a package (10oz) of dry, unsweetened coconut. you'll have to stir-fry it half package at a time, and it can burn easy so keep the heat medium/high.

i added this perfectly toasted coco to a large mason jar and filled it with vodka. the coconut is highly absorbent so dont use top shelf, just rot gut stuff. you'll end up using almost a fifth. i let this potion sit for a week, and it was just enough for a 5gal batch of stout. next time, i'll let it sit longer. i wanted a bit more present coco to eek out of the overpowering malts of the stout. 2 weeks extract should do it.

Back