Cocoa Nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihateyou760

Reaction score
So I brewed a Stout recently and I've been trying to research anything and everything about using cocoa nibs. What do they mean about using vodka? Is this a sanitizing method before putting it in the secondary fermenting stage? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405803468.449156.jpg

I'm pretty sure they mean soak the nibs in vodka for a length of time, similar to how you would soak vanilla beans to extract the flavor. Then add the entire mixture to your secondary before racking the beer.

Someone more experienced than I may offer better insight however. I've heard/read of different methods for adding cacao nibs, and I can't recall any of them calling for the use of vodka... So really I'm only guessing here.

It sounds like it should work though!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Vodka is to extract the flavor. Have heard from several others that have had good results using cocoa powder!

I've been brewing a big assed chocolate stout recipe for years and always soak the nibs for a few days in booze before dumping them in a clean carboy and racking on top. I used to use plain vodka but a few batches back I started using dark rum. Fabulous!

I use 8 ounces of nibs with enough booze to cover in a Tupperware container, giving it a shake every now and then. The booze will extract a lot more flavor than the beer alone can pull out...

Cheers!

Are you speaking of raw nibs, or roasted nibs? After roasting mine and crushing them, I then put them into vodka for 4 or 5 days, and added all of it to my secondary. I really prefer the flavor of roasted nibs.

I soaked mine in pinot noir for a week and dumped it all in. Great flavor, definitely comes through but doesn't overwhelm.

Are you speaking of raw nibs, or roasted nibs? After roasting mine and crushing them, I then put them into vodka for 4 or 5 days, and added all of it to my secondary. I really prefer the flavor of roasted nibs.

Never tried roasting my nibs :eek:

Probably ought to give that a try, but I've been enjoying this brew for so long....I fear change...

Cheers! ;)

I bottled a Triple Chocolate Stout last December (2013), that I brewed sometime in November. I used Chocolate Malt, Hershey's Cocoa Powder, and Torani's Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup. I am sipping one right now.
My only suggestion would be, that in addition to your hops, keep in mind the cocoa adds a bit of bitterness too.
Tonight's sample was very tasty, chocolate up front along with very light smoke, adding coffee to the finish. I may do this beer again, but I might use only 1 cup of the Torani syrup. I am my own worst critic, and I believe the mouth feel is almost "thick". Not syrupy, but it may be the ale has more carbonation than I wanted, and it may be due to that. I usually prime to 2.0 or so volumes, and I wonder, even though there is no extra sugar, if the Torani syrup has something fermentable adding to the fizz.

Putting it in alcohol would only extract flavor. Sanitizing the nibs is not necessary in my opinion. The nibs I use come in a vacuum sealed pouch. The way I look at it, you don't sanitize a Hershey's bar before you eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A few to a handful of days will do just fine. I've never gone longer than 5 days, and I'd be a wee bit concerned about adding bitterness over time.

As for "when", I dump the nib slurry in a fresh carboy and rack my stout on top (it's one of the few recipes that I actually do a "secondary"), flush the headspace with CO2 then stick an S-lock on it and park it for hopefully months (but that's pretty much a function of when the previous keg of stout kicks).

So I would try to combine the nibs sooner than later, but better later than never...

Cheers!

I wrap my nibs in a drip coffee filter (tied off with cotton string) and drop it in at flame out. I leave the packet of nibs in the primary for 2 weeks. Plenty of chocolate flavor extracted, IMHO. Makes one of the best and most popular brews in my rotation.

Back