Cobb county brewer here, anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI- Ernesto over at Dogwood Growlers will sell you a sack of base malt for a good price. I've picked up a couple from him already. He carries most of the Breiss malts a good supply of hops and some other items.

+2 on Barrel and Barley in Woodstock. I have not been in the store yet but have shared some browsers from there with others. Zach is a good friend and fellow kayak fisherman so I keep on the store's progress on FB. They are expanding now into HB supplies.

I'm about to brew an AG Oktoberfest at my place in Marietta if anyone wants to come chill and brew with me. Located off of powder springs road by county services rd. shoot me an email if interested. [email protected]

Anyone have a water report for Cobb? I can't seem to find it online, except that it's very soft...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anyone have a water report for Cobb? I can't seem to find it online, except that it's very soft...

I was thinking about sending a sample off to Ward Labs to get a good breakdown of the e cobb water. I will agree its soft but I need some numbers before I start adding brewing salts.

That water report tells me nothing from a brewers stand point. The only useful info is that cobb county uses chlorine as a disinfectant instead of chloramine.

I need numbers on calcium, magnesium, total alkalinity, total harness, ph, etc.

I have not gotten into water profiles yet, just wanted to post it up for ya.

There is a water profile for Cobb Cy on Brewers Friend site. Go to the water profiles section.

Sent from my mobile.

Actually received a pretty quick response from them...

Mr. Plowman,

The average test results for CCMWA water are as follows:

Calcium 30 mg/L as CaCO3 (ppm)
Sulfate 16 mg/L (ppm)
Magnesium 7 mg/L (ppm)
Chloride 13 mg/L (ppm)
Sodium 4.2 mg/L (ppm)
pH 7.8 -8.2
Alkalinity 20- 30 mg/L (ppm)

That looks good - I was looking for this a couple of weeks back and found the following thread here on HBT too:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/cobb-ga-water-profile-306392/

EDIT: This thread also now shows up in the 'Similar Threads' section at the bottom of the page! Wouldn't it be great for that feature to mind-read so you don't have to post questions at all :) One can always dream.

My friend for 30 years and I are just getting started in AG brewing after an 8 year absence from extract brewing. We have a whopping 2 batches under our belts. If anyone of you Cobb County HBers wouldn't mind hosting a couple of true newbies at one of your upcoming brew days, please send me a PM. We'll bring the beer (not ours).

Looks like Burnt Hickory Brewery will be having a "Tap Takeover" at Dogwood Growlers on Feb. 20th from 5-7:30pm. This may also be a good chance to maybe do a HB swap of sorts?? I will bring a few just in case anyone else does.

Actually received a pretty quick response from them...

Mr. Plowman,

The average test results for CCMWA water are as follows:

Calcium 30 mg/L as CaCO3 (ppm)
Sulfate 16 mg/L (ppm)
Magnesium 7 mg/L (ppm)
Chloride 13 mg/L (ppm)
Sodium 4.2 mg/L (ppm)
pH 7.8 -8.2
Alkalinity 20- 30 mg/L (ppm)

Is this where City of Woodstock gets their water?

Of course, and here's for any other surrounding cities ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392043755.550058.jpg

Guys - I'm coming to the realization that I overbought hops last year and have the following 2012 harvest hops that I'll part with for $5 per each 4oz jar. Each jar has been vacuum-sealed and kept in my freezer so are in good shape... I don't want to ship these so just opening it up to Cobb Co. brewers who I can meet up somewhere to share... I have 2 4oz jars of Calypso, 2 4oz jars of Simcoe, 2 4oz jars of Citra, a 4oz jar of EKG, a 4oz jar of Cascade and a 4oz jar of Centennial. PM me if you're interested.

Guys - I'm coming to the realization that I overbought hops last year and have the following 2012 harvest hops that I'll part with for $5 per each 4oz jar. Each jar has been vacuum-sealed and kept in my freezer so are in good shape... I don't want to ship these so just opening it up to Cobb Co. brewers who I can meet up somewhere to share... I have 2 4oz jars of Calypso, 2 4oz jars of Simcoe, 2 4oz jars of Citra, a 4oz jar of EKG, a 4oz jar of Cascade and a 4oz jar of Centennial. PM me if you're interested.
dang, looks like you're shipping them :(

Nope - the pending sale is to a guy who apparently comes to ATL often to see family. Don't want to ship - mason jars are fragile!!! Will let you know if sale falls through

I would be interested in the centennial and the cascade if you want to unload this weekend. I am in east cobb near Terrell mill park. What are you asking per oz?

I'll let you know if the other guys fall through - I'm not in any rush to be honest, I just realize I'm not likely to use them all up in the next year.

Has he committed to buying the whole lot? The reason I'm asking is i want to make a Founder's Centennial IPA clone and I am having trouble getting whole centennial leaf hops. I could use pellets but prefer leaf with my new false bottom. Let me know if you would consider selling me just those and the rest to your other buyer. Thanks.

Mine are pellets not leaf so it probably doesn't help you anyway, besides I really need to give this guy the first shot since he was first and agreed to take the whole lot.

Just saw this thread. I live off of Trickum... I had a ward labs report done about 3 years ago....here....

pH 7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 71
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.12
Cations / Anions, me/L 1.0 / 0.8
ppm
Sodium, Na 9
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 9
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 31
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.5 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 4
Chloride, Cl 9
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 16
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 13
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

as you can see, we have some nice soft water here.... I made a great czech Pils a while back.

Thanks bctdi. That is a good looking report. I need to put these numbers in my BeerSmith program so I can start tweaking my water profiles. The first beer i brewed here was a blonde ale and It was really good. I have a german pils in secondary now. Can't wait to try it.

Just saw this thread. I live off of Trickum... I had a ward labs report done about 3 years ago....here....

pH 7.9
ppm
Sodium, Na 9
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 9
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 31
Sulfate, SO4-S 4
Chloride, Cl 9
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 16

as you can see, we have some nice soft water here.... I made a great czech Pils a while back.

Is this in Gwinnett County? Thanks

Just off Trickum myself - on Jamerson... That water report explains why my non-hop forward beers seem to turn out great, but my IPAs suck from a hoppiness perspective! Recently started just using RO (overkill for our water but we use RO for other things) and adjusting the water using Brun' Water, so will see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

pH 7.9
ppm
Sodium, Na 9
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 9
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 31
Sulfate, SO4-S 4
Chloride, Cl 9
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 16

How long are these reports good for? I thought I read somewhere that water quality can change seasonally as the processing needs change. Would a report from 3 years ago still be a viable report?

Back