CO2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePT

Reaction score
I have a 2 tap kegerator in my garage right now, 2 corny kegs and 15lb CO2 are inside fridge. I am about to build a new kegerator with a bigger fridge. I am going to have 3 taps on this one and I am considering keeping the CO2 outside the fridge and drilling a small hole through the wall to run the line in. My question is do I have to worry about the CO2 tank getting to hot during the summer in the garage? I live in Sacramento, CA and it will get into the 100s during the summer months. Thanks for any input.

At 120F you are approaching the temperatures you would need to be concerned about. the first pages of that thread are useful after that it turns into fear mongering BS, Your co2 tank has a burst disk to prevent explosions like that.

How about a little foam insulation and a larger hole a la fermentation chamber to keep the tank cool. Never done it but it might just work.

John

At 120F you are approaching the temperatures you would need to be concerned about. the first pages of that thread are useful after that it turns into fear mongering BS, Your co2 tank has a burst disk to prevent explosions like that.

How about a little foam insulation and a larger hole a la fermentation chamber to keep the tank cool. Never done it but it might just work.

John

i think this will work and you can use a computer fan too to get the cooler air over if you want. i think if youd like to deal with a real pita u could use frozen water bottles even as a temporary fix

John

Agree that the thread digresses....but my concern wasn't an 'explosion' but the loss of CO2 through the burst disk and the money and head ache that'll bring. The temp in my garage gets well above 100 during the summer with the doors closed and I surely wouldn't want to leave my CO2 tank out there. Hopefully the OP'er can find a workable solution.

Agree that the thread digresses....but my concern wasn't an 'explosion' but the loss of CO2 through the burst disk and the money and head ache that'll bring. The temp in my garage gets well above 100 during the summer with the doors closed and I surely wouldn't want to leave my CO2 tank out there. Hopefully the OP'er can find a workable solution.
At work, we keep our spare CO2 bottles in an outbuilding without any problems and I keep most of mine in the garage without any issues. The thread about having it in a car during the summer is a whole 'nother issue. Temps inside a car can easily hit 140 degrees during a Texas summer even though my garage almost never exceeds 110. I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

I really doubt your garage will become so hot as to pose a hazard for a CO2 tank. Not sure of the exact storage temp limits, but lets be realistic.

Here in Tucson the ambient temps reach 120 annually, and the welding supply shop by my house keeps hundreds of full CO2 tanks on a fenced in porch exposed to the elements. Most of the other welding shops in town don't keep their tanks in a temperature controlled environment either. I keep a CO2 tank for welding in my shop which doesn't have any heating or cooling. Your tank will be fine in the garage.

Inside a car is a much different story. Car temps can easily exceed the 150's in under an hour, and get into the 190's on a hot day.

Back