CO2 tank stamp. Please help interpret!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmit209

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a used CO2 tank. I want to make sure that the hydro test is current, so I don't have to pay for another. The stamp is very unclear, and none of the "how to" articles are helpful. Please take a look and let me know. Thanks!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389850384.842756.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389850402.608296.jpg

The bottom pic looks like it says that test was in 1992. Are there any more current ones on it? I think the 6 stands for June.

I agree, it looks like June 1992, which puts that tank into "Needs a new hydro test" territory. I'd definitely want to put that to the seller for a discount - and then take the tank to an AirGas facility and see if they'll do a tank swap without a hydro test surcharge (from multiple accounts the AirGas shop I usually swap at almost never charges for an out-of-date tank)...

Cheers!

When I get my cylinders filled .. I don't get back the one that I brought in to be filled. The air gas place .. they do the testing and make sure it is certified and safe to issue. There is a core charge you pay to get the cylinder filled. You do own the cylinder .. cause you had to buy it to start with. It's about the same thing as swapping out a BBQ propane tank. I just swapped a 5# .. for $18.00.

I wouldn't think there would be a problem .. unless you were buying something that hadn't been in circulation for many years. I think if you found a good deal .. ask the person you are buying the cylinder from .. if you have an issue getting it filled (swapped out) .. will he take the cylinder back . and give you a refund.

Can anyone tell the capacity of the tank based on the stamp? The seller is not sure if it is a 2.5 or 5 pound tank. Would $15 be a good deal for this tank even if it is out of Hydro date?

Unfortunately, that link didn't help much because none of the numbers on this tank seem to line up with what was on the tank in question from that thread. I still have no idea what the capacity is on this one.

The capacity typically isn't one of the identifiers included in the tank markings. The easiest way to determine the capacity is to measure the tank dimensions. There is some slight variation between manufacturers, but it should measure pretty close to one of the sizes on this chart-

CryoFX-co2-high-pressure-tanks-chart-web.jpg

Based on the two pics that you supplied, this steel tank was manufactured in 1966, and hydrostatically tested in June of 1992. The #'s and letters between the 6 and 92 identify the shop that performed the hydro. All portable steel (and Aluminum) CO2 tanks must be hydro'd every 5 years. My biggest concern with this tank is that the valve probably hasn't been removed in over 20 years. With the rust shown on the neck, there's a good chance that there's rust inside the tank as well - which could easily lead to a hydro failure.

Hydro's can cost anywhere from $20-$40, and you have to pay whether the tank passes or not, as the labor's all the same.

The chart someone posted earlier is for aluminum tanks, and they're not readily transferred over to steel. Most of the tall skinny tanks that I've seen around are 7 lb, FWIW.

As others mentioned, you're better off either buying a tank that's already been tested within the last year or two, or getting into an exchange program with where ever you're going to be getting your CO2 from, and let them worry about the tanks.

I get my gas from Praxair they exchange as they do not fill I have never had them look at a stamp on a tank

I took them in an out of date 20 # beverage tank with a plastic bottom which no one will exchange because the cannot be tested

took the tank gave me a full 20 # tank for 20 dollars, so check around you might be surprised

S_M

Can anyone tell the capacity of the tank based on the stamp? The seller is not sure if it is a 2.5 or 5 pound tank. Would $15 be a good deal for this tank even if it is out of Hydro date?

$15.00 is a fair price in that if the tank is bad you can scrap the tank for about the same amount. If you do not have a tank already the extra cost to exchange will still be cheaper than buying a new tank.

$15 is a good price, and Central Welding exchanges tanks no questions asked (as long as it's an owned tank, and not a stolen rental).
Only way to know for sure it to at least call your local welding supply shop, or even beter, take it there and show them. I would just buy it and risk it for $15. I just paid $40 for a 10lb.

Back