Co2 tank or Paintball tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerberbb

Reaction score
I am going to build a portable kegarator out of an extra single tower I have laying around. I am wondering if it would be more cost effective for my design to "convert" a paintball tank or just simply buy a normal small co2 tank. Since I already have a regulator and gauges. I am thinking I would only need to buy a paintball tank then the conversion attachement. Is that correct? If so does anybody know where I can buy just the piece to attach my regulator to a paintball tank? Or should i just suck it up and drop the money for an extra tank?

I don't see a whole ton of advantages of using a paintball tank except that the refills are relatively cheap although only good for 20 oz. I think it depends on how much equipment you would have to buy to transition.

I don't see a whole ton of advantages of using a paintball tank except that the refills are relatively cheap although only good for 20 oz. I think it depends on how much equipment you would have to buy to transition.

My local Dunam's sporting goods store refills paintball cylinders for $.20/oz. & they do this 7 days a week, a big plus IMHO. You can also refill your own tanks from a regular CO2 bottle if you have a fill station. A full 9oz. paintball tank should be enough to push 3-4 5g cornys. For a portable unit I think they are great, small, lightweight, easy/cheap to refill almost anywhere. I also feel a bit safer riding in a car with the smaller tanks, not near as likely to cause major damage if things go bad.

Back