CO2 tank allocation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert1097

Reaction score
I started kegging a few batches ago and I've gotta say: This is THE way to go!

I'm fortunate enough to have what I think is a pretty decent setup already. I have a triple faucet tower for the 3 cornies in the kegerator (3 gauge secondary regulator just in case I want different pressures). I have two primary regulators as well.

Right now, one primary regulator is in my cool (50F) basement and is setup to carbonate the cornies "on-deck". The other primary regulator is obviously connected the the kegerator. I have two 5lb CO2 tanks and one 20lb tank.

My question: Where will I be using the most CO2? In the basement for carbonation (up to 3 cornies on-deck) or in the kegerator (serving up to 3 cornies)? The reason I ask I'm not sure where to put the 20lb tank and where to put the 5lb tank.

Thanks for any replies.

Definitely the carbing process. Typically, 2-4 volumes to carb and only one to serve.

Definitely the carbing process. Typically, 2-4 volumes to carb and only one to serve.

I see the 1 volume to dispense often, but it doesn't make since to me. I think it is more (because it is pushed out at higher pressure than atmophere).

Wouldn't it be:

pV=pV

(15 psi)(x standard volumes)=(24psi)(1 volume)
x=1.6 volumes

15 psi=atmopheric pres
24 psi =serving pressure (9psi above atm)

So wouldn't serving @ 9psi gauge pressure take 1.6 volumes? Or do I not quite get the volumes concept (this is very possible). Either way I think carbing will use more.

Regards, Jeff

is there anyway to run the line from the basement to your kegerator??
this way you don't need to have tanks sitting everywhere.

I see the 1 volume to dispense often, but it doesn't make since to me. I think it is more (because it is pushed out at higher pressure than atmophere).

Regards, Jeff

A carbed keg is already pressurized to the dispensing pressure, so adding 1 volume will push out all the beer.

Back