CO2 set screw stuck...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinibrew04

Reaction score
Hi guys,
This evening I was turning the pressure down on my regulator and the set screw got stuck. It won't go in or out and the reg. is stuck at 10 psi. I bought it about 2 years ago new, and it is a dual gauge reg. that is made by taprite fassco. I don't know what the deal is. Has anybody had this happen and fixed it or is the reg. shot? Oh, and before anyone replies and says to make sure the nut is backed off on the set screw, it is. Thanks as usual.

I was gonna say "make sure the nut is backed off", but I guess you thought of that. Have you tried releasing the pressure from the line? Have you tried turning the tank off, removing the regulator from the tank, and reinstalling it? I'm thinking that there's pressure holding it somewhere.

That's kind of what i was figuring too, so I had actually taken it off the tank after releasing all the pressure...still no luck. Thanks for the idea though.

I don't like spraying WD-40 into a regulator as it can mess up the insides. So spray a bit into a paper cup and then dribble it on the screw and let it sit for awhile. I am guessing it rusted, that's assuming you keep it in the keezer/kegerator.

If that does not do it, take it apart and see whats going on. Not hard to do.

I'll try the WD-40 trick. I don't know how it could've rusted since I keep it outside the fridge and live in a relatively dry climate in CO. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to take it apart.

They're not so bad to take apart, I had to clean mine out cause I had beer shoot out of it.....

>.>

<.<

OK, took reg. apart...it seems completely fine inside. There is no rust, I'm wondering if the screw just cross-threaded somehow. I have some WD-40 on it right now to see if I can loosen it up...more updates later.

I think the set screw is screwed out past where the threads on it end...I can't screw it back in for anything...any ideas?

YESSSS!!!!! Success! After much WD-40 I finally got the set screw back in with a power drill. I cleaned it off and put a little keg lube on the threads. It moves freely now. All is put back together and working like new. For anybody who has not taken apart a reg. don't be afraid. It's really easy. Just remember the order of all the parts. The best way to get the body apart in my opinion is to put the hex part on the front into a bench vise and turn. Thanks for the support as usual guys.

Yeah, I guess I could get a second reg. in the future. I change pressures usually only when I keg or bottle. I transfer to the keg under pressure and I bottle with a beer gun occasionally. I guess, overall, I'm not changing things that much though.

Back