CO2 Regulator fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capntang

Reaction score
I'm finally making progress on my kegging setup - a 24 cubic foot refrigerator off Craigslist and a free CO2 tank and cheap regulator from an acquaintance took care of the largest pieces.

The regulator remains a problem. I was all set to order a Micromatic Premium dual-gauge regulator, but they're out of stock until at least next week. I can't wait that long, so I'm going to see if I can use what I've got for the time being.

The free regulator was used for something else, so the fittings need to be changed - specifically the fitting that screws onto the tank valve and the fitting on the outlet.

Can anyone tell me where I might go to find these for a decent price? If I can get the fittings for less than $20, I figure I can at least go ahead and get the beer in the keg.

Don't know what you have, but all regulators are not good for CO2. Be sure it's a high pressure regulator, not a secondary or one made for air compressor loads.

It is a high pressure regulator - 3000 PSI primary, 125 PSI secondary as indicated by its markings.

The fitting that's currently on the inlet looks exactly like the one that attached to this Harbor Freight regulator. What I need is the other one in that picture. And an appropriate outlet fitting, I guess.

Edit-
The outlet fitting in the picture is exactly what I'd need as well. It looks as though the barb is a threaded fitting which could screw directly onto the fitting that's currently on the regulator. I don't suppose Harbor Freight sells those fittings separately...

The biggest problem is going to be regulating with fine enough granularity. I mean, the difference between 8 PSI and 12PSI on that gauge is going to be difficult to see.

I needed the same fitting. The gas supply place that I swap tanks with had what I needed. If you have a welding supply shop near you, try them.

Edit: Don't forget to check for RH or LH thread

The biggest problem is going to be regulating with fine enough granularity. I mean, the difference between 8 PSI and 12PSI on that gauge is going to be difficult to see.

125-3000 isn't the range listed on the gauge. Those figures are the safe operating figures located on a sticker on the back of the regulator housing. The low pressure gauge ranges from 0-160 PSI. Not perfect, but certainly manageable.

Honestly, I plan to locate a couple of secondary regulators inside the fridge anyway. Taking that into consideration, I don't care too much about the regulator on the tank as it'll be a "set it and forget" deal. I'll spring for the premium secondaries from Micromatic, so this one might work out just fine in the long run as a primary.

Back