CO2 regulator doesn't stop flow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esp

Reaction score
So tonight I noticed that when I turn my regulator all the way shut, it still allows CO2 to release at about 10 psi. It only stops when I turn the bottle of ff. Any idea what's wrong with it? I'm pretty sure it didn't do this previously.

If you detect gas actually flowing (as opposed to a stuck pressure gauge needle) it might be a bit of debris caught up in the regulator control valve itself. You might give this a try to blow out any caught-up crud:
- turn the cylinder valve off
- remove any low pressure hose, open the low pressure shut-off valve if so equipped
- turn the regulator pressure control clockwise to "very high". You want to maximize the gap in the control valve for this.
- get a good grip on the assembly, then briefly open the cylinder valve to cause a short blast through the regulator. Repeat once just for grins (it's kinda fun :))
- turn the regulator pressure control counterclockwise to "zero"
- put everything back together, open the cylinder valve, and see if the regulator is still leaking at "zero" pressure setting.
- if it's still leaking seek a rebuild kit for the regulator body. Once you've done one rebuild it takes like ten minutes to do the next...

Cheers!

If you detect gas actually flowing (as opposed to a stuck pressure gauge needle) it might be a bit of debris caught up in the regulator control valve itself. You might give this a try to blow out any caught-up crud:
- turn the cylinder valve off
- remove any low pressure hose, open the low pressure shut-off valve if so equipped
- turn the regulator pressure control clockwise to "very high". You want to maximize the gap in the control valve for this.
- get a good grip on the assembly, then briefly open the cylinder valve to cause a short blast through the regulator. Repeat once just for grins (it's kinda fun :))
- turn the regulator pressure control counterclockwise to "zero"
- put everything back together, open the cylinder valve, and see if the regulator is still leaking at "zero" pressure setting.
- if it's still leaking seek a rebuild kit for the regulator body. Once you've done one rebuild it takes like ten minutes to do the next...

Cheers!
Thank you! After blowing it out, it wouldn't close. Took off the bonnet and used an Allen wrench which didn't turn the bolt but took off the bonnet assembly. Once that was off, I noticed there the nut piece was shredding the threads on the bolt. So I'm ordering a new assembly today.

Back