CO2 Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ueberdc4

Reaction score
I drained my CO2 in like a week because of a leak. I think it may have just been that the lid wasn't sat correctly. My question is this...I weighed my new CO2 bottle at 17.8 pounds, will it remain there assuming I've fixed the leak?

Not sure what you're asking ... but yes, if there is no CO2 leaking from the cylinder, its weight will not change. Just don't take it to the moon or anything.

Well my rationale is that if I have everything hooked up and the weight of my tank drops over the next couple days, I still have a leak and I can try to fix it before wasting all of my CO2. Just making sure that's sound reasoning.

Your CO2 tank should remain at that weight if your leak is fixed and your beer is already carbonated. If you are carbonating, then some of the CO2 will be absorbed into solution, slightly reducing the amount of CO2 in the tank.

Well my rationale is that if I have everything hooked up and the weight of my tank drops over the next couple days, I still have a leak and I can try to fix it before wasting all of my CO2. Just making sure that's sound reasoning.

no need to wait. Just submerge whatever your hardware is in some water. You'll see the leak if there is one. Then test the connections you can't submerge with a spray bottle of starsan solution.

Yeah I did the Starsan check...think I'm good to go, I just don't wanna burn another $13 on CO2 if I missed something. I AM carbonating so I weighed the keg as well...if the combined weight of the keg and CO2 drops, I've definitely still got a leak.

Back