CO2 leak test odd result

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaglikm

Reaction score
So I got a new kegerator and connected all the gas lines. When I go to do a test I set the dual regulators both to 20 psi and turn the tank off. It holds steady for an hour or so then the gauge that measures tank pressure starts to go down very slowly. Coinciding with this both the regulators to the lines have increased PSI up to about 25-28 PSI. Then for the next 30 minutes it slowly goes to 0. Anyone seen this before? I have submerged everything in H20 at the duotights and don't see any air leaks.

Are the kegs dry or do they contain liquid of some kind? For this kind of test you really need to use dry kegs.
If they're dry, then you have a leak somewhere. fwiw, I've done that test on my various CO2 systems and have gone weeks without the high pressure gauge moving...

Cheers!

Fill a bucket half way with water, hook the gas lines up to kegs and put the kegs in water top down to see if there are any bubbles. This will tell you if the leak is on the post or disconnects. Duotights also have two internal washers, so make sure the tubing is pushed firmly into them. If you are only past the first washer, gas may be escaping. Also, is you CO2 tank outside or inside the kegerator? If inside, the gauge for tank pressure will go down due to cold temps

So I got a new kegerator and connected all the gas lines. When I go to do a test I set the dual regulators both to 20 psi and turn the tank off. It holds steady for an hour or so then the gauge that measures tank pressure starts to go down very slowly. Coinciding with this both the regulators to the lines have increased PSI up to about 25-28 PSI. Then for the next 30 minutes it slowly goes to 0. Anyone seen this before? I have submerged everything in H20 at the duotights and don't see any air leaks.
As the temperature drops in my garage, so does the psi pressure of the Co2 tank gauge, and it rises as the temperature in the garage rises. Have the Co2 tank temperatures been the same while noticing the odd pressure readings?

If the kegerator is new run the same test without the kegs connected to the system, remove them as a variable, that way if it does becomes a warranty situation there's no foreign equipment attached. If there is still a leak it's a question of whether you want to invest your time to chase it down or just exchange it. If you want to chase it, leak test the entire system with soapy water including the connections as well the bodies of the regulators Some regulators incorporate a bleed off function so when you back off of a pressure setting it releases gas until the new setting is reached, this could be a source of the leak. Some regulators will drift when experiencing certain mechanical problems which would account for the pressure increases.
Good Luck

Back