CO2, Infection, Something Else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robc311

Reaction score
I peeked at my Brown Ale this morning and noticed that there's still some stuff floating on top which surprised me but what surprised me more was that there's a white bubbly film on top as well. Based on what I've read it could be an infection or related to CO2. I was also wondering if it could be star san residue. I did the best I could with taking pics...there's some condensation in the carboy which made it tough to get a clear shot...I also shined a flashlight on the surface to make it easier to see. It's been in primary for about 2 1/2 weeks. What are your thoughts?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479475347.844313.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479475360.045210.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479475369.463056.jpg

Darker stuff looks like yeast, the white film is likely CO2 like you thought. I don't see anything that looks like an issue.

Let's say it's infected...should I proceed with bottling like normal? Should I keg? Assuming it tastes good I don't want to dump it. I planned to bottle this one but I can keg if that's a better choice in this situation.

Keg it. The cold storage in your keezer/kegerator will help slowing down the souring process.

Don't bottle, they'll become bombs or gushers at best.

I planned to add blackberry extract at keg/bottle time...maybe that along with a hint of sour will go together...just looking for the silver lining.

Yes, I'd keg it. If you drink it moderately quickly, it will still taste fine for quite a while.

So I brought my brown ale out into the kitchen where I have better lighting. I was going to keg the batch...I wanted to show you a couple more pics because now that i see it in better lighting it doesn't look as bad. Do you still think it's a pelicle? View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479597506.446300.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479597515.129205.jpg

I'm betting it isn't infected. The brown blobs are break material brought to the surface by the CO2 while I think the white spots are yeast rafts. Based on the krausen stuck to the sides, I'm figuring this is the primary fermentation vessel and if so and infection would be very rare as your airlock would have trapped the CO2 produced inside the carboy and most infections need oxygen to get started.

The only way to be certain is to leave if longer so if it is infected a better pellicle would form and the flavor would change. If you have the ability to keg, that would be the safest course but I don't think that is your only option.

Yeast rafts...another thing for me to obsessively research. You're right, this is the primary...first time I've used a carboy for primary fermentation (and last...not a fan). It's been in there for 3 weeks. I guess I'll keg it today since it's all sanitized and ready to go. I'll report back once I taste it.

Latest posts

Back