CO2 hose connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hike68

Reaction score
I'm still in the gathering mode of equipment for my first batch. I plan to go straight to kegging. Have 5gal corny, CO2 tank, reg and lines. I recently picked up the gas and liquid couplers for the keg. They are both 1/4" barbed. The gas line that came with the regulator is 5/16th. Now to my question (finally). Does anyone out there have a 5/16 line attached to a 1/4 barbed coupler? Have you had any leakage issues? My plan is to use a hose clamp attached tightly, of course. :mug:

]-[ike68

I'm sure that I have at least a couple that way. My spunding valve is one. It's not the best but it will work for a while like this. Ideally you should get 5/16 across the board. I'd use that 1/4 barb connector as a pressure gauge tester for checking keg pressure and buy a flared 5/16 for the gas if I were you.

if you heat the tubing up in boiling water and use an Oetiker clamp while its still soft, there should be no leaks. its more difficult to do with worm-drive clamps, but can probably be done. you can also just use 1/4" beverage tubing in place of that 5/16" stuff you have.

It helps too that you're not running really high PSI on the gas line...30psi at most, 12-14psi on average.
many don't even clamp their gas lines (when using same size diameter) and it never pops off the barb.

Back