CO2 Guage Temperature Correction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman80403

Reaction score
I keep my CO2 tank in my keezer and I know that the tank gauge reads low (~500psi) so logically the output gauge is also low. Does anybody know how inaccurate the gauges are as a function of temperature? It's probably a function of pressure too.

I suppose I could warm up the tank to some standard temperature, say 25*C, set a desired pressure, cool it back to keezer temperature and see what it reads. Then do this again for different desired pressures. Seems like a PITA to me. I'd have to repeat if I decided to use a different temperature.

I'd like to know so I can accurately carbonate my beer. I know I could keep the tank and regulator outside, but I'd prefer to have multiple regulators inside when I eventually upgrade...

Thanks all.

I believe the gauges work fine in the keezer at lower temps. The lower tank gauge reading is just reflecting the actual drop in pressure of the liquid Co2 at a lower temperature. 12 psi line pressure is 12 psi regardless if the tank is inside or outside the keezer.

Back