co2 filling up the chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkone

Reaction score
should have realized it on wednesday when i was pulling some pints and turned off the gas since it was carbed but no beer came out so i threw the gas back on to dispense. all the other valves on the distro line have been off all week long so looks like somewhere the keg has a bad seal.

was just about to break in my new beergun and fill some bottles for friends.

being that the tank was almost entirely new, and is now empty, should i be worried about a blanket of co2 in the bottom of my chest freezer?

You going to camp in there?

Seriously, a couple of minutes with an electric fan and you could completely change the air in the freezer. Even five pounds of CO2 would fill a freezer multiple times, you must have a sizeable leak.

If you have a large ice chest, fill it half full of water and lay the keg down while the gas line is connected. If there's a leak, you'll spot it in no time, make a fix, and retest. I've tried the soapy spray techniques, and there's no substitute for completely submerging the vessel to detect even the smallest leaks.

If the keg and the keg fittings are airtight, then the leaks at the other end of your system.

Good Luck...

thanks man. yeah, it's probably a slow week. keg has been hooked up for 2 weeks, it had some pressure on wednesday, but i don't know how much exactly.

i got a massive headache when i put my head down into the chest to pull something out which is one of the things that led me to check into it.

i'll throw a fan at it and i guess we'll be all set.

So...testing for a kegerator gas leak is just like testing for a bicycle tire leak? Or even a car tire leak? Heck I've been doing that for decades! Filling the chest freezer half full of water to do it seems extreme, though perhaps it's a good way to get some Spring cleaning done as an added benefit (i.e. use StarSan solution).

also i just checked the o-ring on the lid. totally not sealed. damn.

can't get any more co2 until monday am at the latest. hope this doesn't kill the b athc of beer. it was so tasty!

So...testing for a kegerator gas leak is just like testing for a bicycle tire leak? Or even a car tire leak? Heck I've been doing that for decades! Filling the chest freezer half full of water to do it seems extreme, though perhaps it's a good way to get some Spring cleaning done as an added benefit (i.e. use StarSan solution).

No, don't fill the freezer half full of water. Fill an ice chest (portable cooler) half full of water to submerge the keg.

Just for fun very slowly open the lid of your freezer. Light a candle and slowly lower it into the freezer. See if it goes out.

Back