CO2 extraction? Trapping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakeddog

Reaction score
Not sure what it would really would be called, so my search attempts didn't yield anything.

During fermentation, our little yeast buddies are creating a ton of CO2 that is essentially getting wasted. Is there any way of catching that CO2 and bottling or something? We use club soda to mix with different natural syrups we create for non-alcoholic drinks and I was recently looking into getting a CO2 carbonating system when this thought came to mind. Is it possible?

The Yeungling brewery in Tampa does this, I would assume that other commercial breweries do as well.

I think you'd be a first if you did it on a homebrew scale. That is, if you trapped it in a cylinder where it was liquid. If you were doing pressurized ferments, I don't see why you couldn't put some flat beer or soda water inline and carbonate it. Probably would want to run the gas through some carbon inline. Might not want your soda water to taste like what's coming out of my airlocks!

Run the gas into your tomato greenhouse and you might sequester some of it. Bubble it into an algae tank and make biofuel?

Back