CO2 Charger Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emart85

Reaction score
I've seen a few threads on how to safely hook up a co2 canister to a corny keg, but I'd like to see if anyone has tried this method out before. I understand it is recommended to hook up the charger to the ball/pin lock QD only after the QD has been connected to the keg, thus releasing any pressure that existed in the keg. I'd like to avoid releasing keg pressure at all during the process (to save CO2, also to prevent any decarbing of beer). Here's what I'm suggesting:

• Use a new CO2 cartridge
  • Connect Ball/pin lock QD threaded connection to charger WITHOUT CARTRIDGE
  • Connect QD/charger to poppet valve on keg
    ---The "trigger" valve should be maintaining the keg pressure at this point, isolating keg from atmosphere
  • Screw cartridge into charger (which has already been connected to keg)
  • Pull trigger only as necessary

This way if you do accidentally tap the trigger it's connected to the keg and you don't have an explosion on your hands, the pressure is just released into the keg - but you also avoid having to depressure the keg prior to using the CO2 canister.

Obviously I'm planning on leaving the charger attached to the keg for the duration of this "event", I'll be manning it for the most part. I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried this or what some thoughts out there are. Thanks!

The first time I used my little CO2 canister I was worried as well after reading reviews where people said it basically blasted apart in their hands. I released the pressure out of the keg, and then hooked up the QD and then hooked the charger up to it. I was also frustrated by losing the charge of CO2 that was already in the keg, considering how little CO2 is in each cartridge. The method you suggest does make sense, however now I just hook the charger up to the QD with the cylinder already punctured, I just make sure to be careful not to pull the trigger until its hooked up to the keg. As long as the trigger isn't pressed, there is no danger. Part of the reason I do this is that I like to use the charger to purge secondary carboys when I transfer, so I have a half used canister most of the time. I just shove a length of vinyl hose onto the brass "nut" on the charger which I can then stick into the carboy to give is a shot or two of CO2 before racking. I do love the little CO2 charger, look on amazon for bulk packages of 12, they are only $18 including shipping.

Thanks! Are the canisters fairly interchangeable? Some sites state that you should only use "their" canister for the charger, but all of the unthreaded canisters look the same to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back