Clumps in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsnight

Reaction score
SNPA Clone. I did a few things different this time, for one Late addition of the extract. The other I just added the hops straight to the boil rather than containing them in a hops ball. When I dumped the wort into the carboy I did not strain it but, I didn't dump the hops in that were the bottom of the kettle either. This is 12hrs after ferm. started, 48 hrs since I pitched (S-05)

I'm looking at these white clumps on top. Some are floating up, some down.. Not to worried, never had an infected batch, Is it yeast? hops? yeast cake looks normal. Any insight? Thankyou

20131031_215552 (1).jpeg

Looks like my first brew. Coagulated proteins n other gunk that'll make up your trub. Just let it be till it's done n that'll settle to the bottom.

I figured it was the irish moss once I realized I used that. Just wanted to understand what it is/ why it is. knowledge is power! right? Thanks for the input!!

Could be from range of things. Don't be surprised if you see it in future beers with different ingredients! Experience is a good teacher.

Back