Cloudy with lots of sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlcek11

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Second batch, brew all malt extract dark German beer. It's been a little over a week since I brewed. The beer looks very cloudy still and I can see sediment floating in it. I did have a problem with blowoff but I thought I resolved it quick enough. I am just afraid that the batch is bad because of inactivity. There is no foam at the top but lots of gunk at the bottom. Your thoughts?

All sounds perfectly normal. Let it sit for a couple weeks, and I bet it'll drop clear. Make sure your gravity readings are stable and at FG, then bottle. Cheers!

Give the yeast some more time to finish their work and settle down. What type of yeast did you use? Some yeast don't flocculate well (by design) and will remain in your beer.

Floaties is fine, gunk in the bottom is good. Just let it ride for another week or so and if you can, once your FG has been hit, cold crash to help the majority of the sediment drop out.

Sounds normal to me. What you're seeing is the big slow down of fermentation after initial,vigorous fermentation is over. It'll start settling out as it slowly works down to FG. So you're good to go,just give it another week. Then do a hydrometer test to see how close to FG it is.
When I get a stable FG,I let it sit in primary another 3-7 days till it cleans up & settles out more. At this point it'll be clear or just slightly misty.

Awesome thanks for the quick reply everyone. I am hoping that my second batch goes as well as the first one and then I think I might try brewing the all grain method.

Back