cloudy on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbean

Reaction score
I searched around but most of the threads I've seen deal with meads. 1st off I screwed up just about every step of this batch. I upgraded my equipment and tried a couple of tricks which means lots of room for errors. Newb tip! only change up one or two things per batch.

NE-way, I transferred to the secondary on Wednesday 3/7 and pretty quickly a cloudy layer formed in the top inch or so. Also, it seems like it is growing slowly.

Thoughts?

Did you take any gravity readings, and if so, what was the gravity when you transferred? This could just be a new krausen due to a kickstarted fermentation.

I will take a pic tonight but I don't think it is a new krausen.

Was in the primary for 10 days with everything settling nice by the time I transferred. Transfer was nice and slow. My one concern was that it might be extra starsan though at the time it did not look like I had more foam than normal.

As to the gravity it was 1.018 (i think) when I transferred. Like I said I messed up several steps.

Had a new pot and do biab. My bag was surrounding the therm and I had the stove on to keep it in range. the temp did not budge for a while so I kept it on. stirred the grain and it shot up near mash out temp. after only 15 min into starch conversion.

the OG was 1.03 at the end of boil w/ hop additions so after reading the forum I figured what the hell and added 6oz. of sugar (as a syrup made by boiling water) to try and goose it.

Don't think it is infected since it appeared pretty quickly. but what do I know. This is my school of hard knocks batch for sure.

Sometimes the sanitizer you use to clean the fermenter can cause a cloudy film on top of the wort. As long as it's a no-rinse sanitizer, and not too much of it, it doesn't hurt the final beer at all.

Thanks TopherM, that was my thought/hope since it seemed to rise up as I transferred. Just trying to pin down which mistake caused which outcome.

Would star San do this?

ForumRunner_20120309_171801.jpg

ForumRunner_20120309_171809.jpg

Thanks for the Reply Zeal. I used Wyeast 1450 Denny's Fav.

Thing is this is the 2ndary and has been in there for about 5 days and that is off of a 10day primary. If it is yeast shouldn't it settle?

Well, Dennys has Low flocculation, meaning it doesn't like to clump together and settle as well as some others this maybe the "problem". Although I haven't seen it manifest like this yet, but who knows I am but a simple homebrewer.

If your worried about it try some and see how it tastes. That should help you decide if you are just being a worry wort or if you actually have a problem.

Back