Cloudy, No Bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_P

Reaction score
Greetings.

I have a couple of questions about a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone extract we are currently brewing. I am semi-new to home brewing, currently on my 4th batch.

1) We are not getting any bubbling after pitching the yeast, I took a reading yesterday and after 3 days we went from 1.071 to 1.045 so I assume the yeast is still doing it's thing? Should I consider adding more yeast or does it seem like it should be good?

2) I forgot to add the spoonful of Irish Moss and this beer seems pretty cloudy so far. Any suggestions on how to clear it up some? I can strain it when switching to the secondary this weekend I assume.

Thanks.

Your fermentation is fine, give it at least another week. The beer will clear on it's own when done fermenting.

Three weeks in the primary and you will have clear beer. Don't look at it again for 10 days. The beer will remain cloudy until the CO2 produced in the fermentation off gases. The CO2 bubbles hold sediment in suspension.
I am guessing you are fermenting in a bucket. CO2 often escapes at the rim rather than going through the air lock.

I have 2 buckets. This is the first time I have used this one and you are correct, I don't think it seals real tight. I will let this one sit a while, thanks for the advice.

Moved to the secondary on Saturday, sitting at 7.35% so there must have been a leak because the yeast was definitely working. Seems to have cleared up some as well.

Back