cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizardman

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing, I made a pail ale and bottled it just under 2 weeks ago. There is a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. does this ever go away. I don't know if I need to wait longer or if this is just the way it is. This is only the second batch that I have ever made. Any advise would be great!

Bottle conditioned beer is live and should always have a coating of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. But if you cool it after its fully carbonated for a couple of weeks, - put it in the fridge near freezing - i should compact to the bottom, and if you pour carefully it wont go into the glass.

If there is more than a coating, you may have transferred too much yeast to the bottle. You may have bottled too young, or were sloppy with your siphoning.

I've found that most of the time that I get sediment or yeast at the bottom of my bottles it's due to poor siphoning or bottling too soon - I'm impatient. Since my first few super cloudy batches, I've learned not to let the siphon hit the bottom of the carboy!

If there is more than a coating, you may have transferred too much yeast to the bottle. You may have bottled too young, or were sloppy with your siphoning.

Or a third option, yeast is delicious and good for you. Swirl the last bit and dump it in!

Welcome to homebrewing! You should be able to find tons of answers from more credible sources on here but the quick answer is this: when you bottle the majority of beers and use sugar to help carbonate it, you get a layer on the bottom of the bottle. This is a combination of yeast and other stuff that settles out of the beer. You can decrease this amount by filtering your beer (most home brewers don't), use clarifying agents like Irish Moss during the boil, or just leave the beer longer in the primary fermenter. When I was new to home brew, I rushed the process to much. Once the beer is "done" fermenting, leave it in there another week or more to help settle everything down, then transfer to a secondary or go straight to the bottles. If you bottle your home brew, you are almost always going to get some sediment at the bottom.

Cheers

I was finally able to achieve commercially clear beer on my latest batch. I get a good hot break, use a whirlfloc tab, cool quickly to get a good cold break, whirlpool with a large spoon, cold crash in fridge, and use gelatin finings for 2-3 days. Sounds like a lot but once you get your process down, it's easy.

Yea I thought I needed that yeast to get a good carbonation. The first batch I made was very clear, but did not have much carbonation, so I did pull to much yeast from the bottom. Thanks for your help.

Back