Cloudy beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacmil

Reaction score
I just brewed and bottled my 5th batch, an Austin Sierra Nevada-style pale ale kit. All my previous batches (4 different styles from 2 different vendors other than Austin) have been very clear, a little sediment in the bottom of the bottles but looked clear in the bottles and poured clear. I have never used a secondary fermenter and the beer looked the same as my previous batches when transferred to the bottling bucket and while bottling. The only real difference in this kit from previous brews was the addition of hops after 6 days in the primary fermenter. I did not stir when I added the hops. Total time in the primary was 12 days.

After 5 days in the bottles, the beer is still pretty cloudy. Frankly I can't remember how long my previous batches took to clear up in the bottles so maybe this is normal. Nothing I can do about it now but any comments or opinions are welcome.

sounds pretty normal. there are lots of different approaches to combat cloudy beer along the way in the process. so far i utilize irish moss, secondary sometimes, cold crashing and time. but there are quite a few others.

Dude... just RDWHAHB!!!

While clarity is usually one of the least important factors of the final product, many people want crystal clear product. Myself, I like it clear but I have learned that you just need to wait and be patient.

Firstly, dry hopping with always had a bit of cloudiness to your beer. That and the fact that it's only been 12 days in primary, 5 in bottle. Most people on here would keep their beer in primary for 3-4 weeks.

Just leave it alone, don't stress over it. Within another week or two it will clear right up... I mean, you have to wait 3 weeks for it to be properly carbonated and drinkable anyway! You can using finings to clear it up but I've found that time will take care of it for you.

Courtesy of good ol' Charlie Papazian:

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew!

rdwhahbposter.jpg

It's only been 5 days in the bottles, relax.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

So you have plenty of time for them to clear up. Besides once you fridge them, they will further clear up. If you leave them in the fridge for at least a week, they will be crystal clear.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Dude... just RDWHAHB!!!

Firstly, dry hopping will always had a bit of cloudiness to your beer. That and the fact that it's only been 12 days in primary, 5 in bottle. Most people on here would keep their beer in primary for 3-4 weeks.

Thanks. I'm not stressing, just curious. I've never left beer in the primary more than 2 weeks. Always too anxious to drink it once brewed, 5 weeks is a long enough wait.:D

Thanks. I'm not stressing, just curious. I've never left beer in the primary more than 2 weeks. Always too anxious to drink it once brewed, 5 weeks is a long enough wait.:D

Ever notice that your last beer is the best? :mad: The best thing you can do is let it set and give it more time.

Brew more often to build up your pipeline and then you won't be so anxious to get to bottling.

Minimum 3 weeks in primary.

Bull

Back