Cloudy and sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edpietrzak

Reaction score
Good morning. I brewed an AK47 Pale mild from NB a couple weeks ago and bottled last night. I My OG was 1.032 and my FG was 1.003. Fermented for 2.5 weeks (instructions called for 2) at 68 degrees. When I bottled it last night, during the transfer I noticed that it was very cloudy in the auto-siphon with a sweet aroma to it. I tasted it and it tasted a little sweet/malty/bready.

When I searched those characteristics on the boards it almost seems like it is unfinished or contaminated. Has anyone every made this recipe before? Any ideas?

Good morning. I brewed an AK47 Pale mild from NB a couple weeks ago and bottled last night. I My OG was 1.032 and my FG was 1.003. Fermented for 2.5 weeks (instructions called for 2) at 68 degrees. When I bottled it last night, during the transfer I noticed that it was very cloudy in the auto-siphon with a sweet aroma to it. I tasted it and it tasted a little sweet/malty/bready.

When I searched those characteristics on the boards it almost seems like it is unfinished or contaminated. Has anyone every made this recipe before? Any ideas?

I haven't made that recipe before, but it could just be that it tastes a bit sweet because it isn't carbonated yet. Carbonation produces carbonic acid, which will counteract the sweetness quite a bit. As far as "cloudy", it will probably clear up nicely with a couple of days in the fridge after it carbonates.

Also, some yeast themselves can have a sweet taste to them. I use a Belgian ale strain and a lager strain that are surprisingly sweet in addition to tasting "yeasty" When the beers I use these yeast in clear up, the sweetness goes away.

The c02 produced during bottling will balance out the sweetness, think of it like soda syrup without the carbonation. Also all of my beers have been cloudy going into the bottles and clear a few weeks later.

It's like eating anything that isn't finished yet. It won't be the same when it is done. You can learn from taking a taste of anything along the way but dont assume that the taste you get is what you will end up with.

Back