Cloudy after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countypark

Reaction score
I just kegged a batch of beer that I brewed from a malt extract and it seems cloudy after fermentation. I sanitized everything carefully with a star san solution prior to fermentation so I don't think it's a bacteria issue but I don't know.

beer malt.PNG

It will be fine. After bottling and carbing up, put in the fridge for a week or so and it will be clear. The other bottles if not in fridge will clear in time as well

2 Gallons spring water
4 lb malt extract
1 lb corn sugar
1/4 lb light dry malt extract
1 pack of hops

boiled for an hour.
added second pack of hops after 45 minutes
added 3 gallons of spring water
cooled to 75 degrees F
added yeast and lightly stirred
closed fermenter and added airlock
let it it for 7 days at around 70 degrees
measured final gravity
kegged

boiling.PNG

brewing vessel.PNG

OG.PNG

hops.PNG

after fermentation.PNG

final gravity.PNG

It will clear up. Give it some time. With the cold temps in a kegerator (or otherwise) all of the yeast and other particles will drop out of suspension (although you may still have some chill haze, but thats another issue all together. One thing about your process... After adding the yeast, no need to stir it, the yeast will do their thing. Stirring it just adds another potential point of contamination

Thank you Kev. I took alot of care in stirring, very light and thoroughly sanitized but I will take your advice next batch. Hopefully it will settle by the weekend.:mug:

Thank you Kev. I took alot of care in stirring, very light and thoroughly sanitized but I will take your advice next batch. Hopefully it will settle by the weekend.:mug:

Think about yeast as if they were you (kinda). If you're hungry, you go find the pantry to get food. No one needs to proof you with a stick. Yeast are like that. They'll wake up and find the sugars.

If its in the fridge/kegerator/chilled environment now it should be cleared up by weekend. Make sure to pull a pint off. My first pint I usually dump because its so cloudy from the yeast settling

Latest posts

Back