Cloudy after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewInHK

Reaction score
Currently enjoying my first Kolsch - after cold crashing for two weeks at 54F the beer was super clear. I was actually amazed at how clear the beer was and very excited to bottle, looking forward to potentially one of my clearest beers yet.

Unfortunately it hasn't quite turned out that way. The last few bottles* have been very cloudy, and much darker than it was before bottling.

Can anyone shed any advice as to why this might be?

* Stored at room temp for approx 3 weeks @ approx 80F

Are you saying the beer was clear when you bottled it, and 3 weeks later, the room temperature beers are cloudy? I can't think of a single reason why that would be, unless you have some kind of very fast-acting infection going on.

Now, if they're cloudy after being refrigerated, that's easy--it's chill haze. Happens to me all the time.

Darker=oxidation.
Also, chill haze sounds right. Don't forget, though, that there is yeast on the bottom of the bottle, and if you disturb it you'll have a glass of cloudy beer.

Thanks for the responses - I doubt it's an infection so most likely chill haze.

Would adding ice to hot wort to help cool it be a potential cause?

I brew all grain and use a wort chiller - but with this beer my boil off was more than expected so to hit 5 gals and target gravity I added a bag of ice whilst chilling. Could this have any negative impacts?

Thanks for the responses - I doubt it's an infection so most likely chill haze.

Would adding ice to hot wort to help cool it be a potential cause?

I brew all grain and use a wort chiller - but with this beer my boil off was more than expected so to hit 5 gals and target gravity I added a bag of ice whilst chilling. Could this have any negative impacts?

Possible infection hazard, doubtful, but who knows where that ice has been assuming you bought the ice.

Chill haze is caused from protein in the wort. Usually not a problem unless using adjuncts such as wheat or rye. Wouldn't explain the darkening though.

Oxygen is most likely the culprit. Did you rack to secondary? Use an auto siphon that may leak? Leave in plastic fermenter for a long time? Large head space when bottling? All those can introduce oxygen into your beer.

Finally 80F is pretty hot for storing beer- probably tripling the speed of oxygenation. Even worse if the temps fluctuate. My guess this is your main problem. The good news is if you chill the beer it will slow the process and not develop any off flavors for probably up to a month or so.

Back