Cloning HopHands by Tired Hands Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I either started at 66 or 68 and rose to ~70-72. You can push 1318 a little to get more fruity esters that complement the hops, but temp is something I have to experiment with more. Everything I read about 1318 says you can ferment it on the higher side without getting weird.

WY 1318 on order and I have another question in regards to the base malt. What do you think about using Muntons Pearl malt at 3.3L?

WY 1318 on order and I have another question in regards to the base malt. What do you think about using Muntons Pearl malt at 3.3L?

Pearl would be a great sub but you may need to do a larger 60 min addition to balance out the added sweetness, especially when combined with 1318 which also leaves beer sweeter.

I have a version of this on tap brewed with Buzz Bullets, Hallertau Blanc, and Azacca. I fermented it with Conan just to try it out in this recipe and I kind of hate that yeast now. It's super juicy (citrus, tropical, almost fruit punch like. lot's of mango), but Conan left some yeast stress in the final beer which is a tad distracting. Conan also made it a tad too creamy and thick so it's not quite as refreshing as I would have liked.

Just brewed up this recipe yesterday but with Nelson Sauvin and Lemon Drop, however I'm fermenting it with TYB Saison Blend and Wyeast 3711. Should be an interesting spin on it.

@ Mintyice
As an alternative to the 1318, if I used 1217 in it's stead and the Pearl malt, do you think the balance of sweetness will be maintained?

@ Mintyice
As an alternative to the 1318, if I used 1217 in it's stead and the Pearl malt, do you think the balance of sweetness will be maintained?

Nope, 1318 is what makes this beer as close to a clone as possible. 1318 does magical things for the mouthfeel and malt/hop balance.

I just brewed it with 1318 the other day, will post a follow up with what I feel is a final recipe. The grist and hoping is spot on with ~18% Oats imo.

A lot of folks think 1318 is the correct strain so Im excited to taste the results.

I just brewed it with 1318 the other day, will post a follow up with what I feel is a final recipe. The grist and hoping is spot on with ~18% Oats imo.

A lot of folks think 1318 is the correct strain so Im excited to taste the results.

Yeah I was going to suggest uping the oats with 1318. The real thing is way oatier than 15%.

I brewed 11gal of this on Sunday. Just some slight changes. Used 17% Oates. Hopped it to 40 Ibu. Mashed at 153-154. Did a 2oz mix at flame out and whirlpool for 20 min, then dropped the temp to 170 and added 1.25oz each and kept it spinning for about another 50 minutes or so while I cleaned up. The temp got down into the 140's by the time I chilled down. Used 1318 in one carboy and s04 in the other. Started at 64 degrees and slowly ramped it up to 69 over the last 4 days. S04 has dropped completely out but still a krausen on the 1318. Beautiful fruity smell from the keezer. I anticipate things are done and will probably start the dry hop tomorrow after a gravity reading.

Will post an update when this is all done. Can't wait!! Thanks for the work on this one Ed!! :mug:

looking forward to your updates @coff and @drunkmonk59 . i plan to brew another 11 gallons in about a month...already ordered the 1318.

quick question... are flaked oats from the lhbs the same thing as "old fashioned oats" in the grocery story? i've always just bought at the lhbs, but if i can save some $...

I brewed this on 5/2 and just tried a bottle yesterday. I think I screwed something up with the oats because mine is much more clear than it should be.

I did BIAB with 11 lb 2-row and 2 lb flaked oats (85/15 ratio). I realize now I should have used pale ale malt, but I can't imagine that making TOO much of a difference? Mashed at 150 for 60 min with a 10 min mash out at 170.

I ended up with an OG of 1.056, but brewer's friend estimated I'd be at 1.062. I also finished at 1.011 when brewer's friend estimated 1.014. It almost seems like the oats did not convert, if that's possible?

Yeah I was going to suggest uping the oats with 1318. The real thing is way oatier than 15%.

Ive brewed this recipes with 12.5%, 15%, 18%, and 20% with 15% being used 3-4 times and I honestly liked the 20% oats batch the best.

S04 has dropped completely out but still a krausen on the 1318.

Yeah I find 1318 ferments out super quick but that krausen just hangs around forever unless you give it a little swirl. After all it is a true "top cropping" yeast.

quick question... are flaked oats from the lhbs the same thing as "old fashioned oats" in the grocery story? i've always just bought at the lhbs, but if i can save some $...

Yeah I've used both flaked oats from the LHBS and just grocery store oats. They are totally the same thing. The ones at the grocery store are just chopped up more. They taste the same too. I just get a big box of 9 lbs of the stuff from BJ's now.

So this past Saturday was my girlfriends sisters wedding with my Hoppy Pale Ale on tap. The taps started pouring at 5pm and by 8:15pm all 15 gallons were kicked. I had person after person come up to me to say how amazing the beer was and how they've never had anything like it. More than one person said "What ingredients and flavor did you add to this?" They were shocked when I responded "Grain, hops, yeast, water". Apparently people are afraid of hops. One guy come up to me and say "Hi, I'm an investor in a local brewery. I just wanted to let you know that your beer is outstanding. I'd be proud to pour this at our brewery". Multiple people said I should start selling it because I'd make a killing.

I'd say that was a success. I owe you for all the advice Coff!

This is the recipe I used.

Mashed at 157-158. Started to ferment at 66 for 3 days then raised temp 1 degree per day to 70. I somehow managed 80% attenuation.

Batch & Boil

Batch Size
18.0 gal
Boil Time
60 min
Properties

OG
FG
IBU
ABV
5.5%
Color
3 SRM
Balance
0.32 – Sweet
Fermentables

Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG
18.0 lb 46 % 2-Row (US) Any Mash 37
14.0 lb 35 % Maris Otter Pale (UK) Any Mash 38
7.0 lb 17 % Flaked Oats Any Boil 33
Hops

Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
1.1 oz Columbus (US) 60 min First Wort Pellet 17.5%
1.8 oz Amarillo (US) 0 min Boil Pellet 9.3%
1.8 oz Centennial (US) 0 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
1.8 oz Simcoe (US) 0 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
3.6 oz Amarillo (US) 0 min Whirlpool Pellet 9.3%
3.6 oz Centennial (US)1 0 min Whirlpool Pellet 10.5%
3.6 oz Simcoe (US) 0 min Whirlpool Pellet 13.0%
2.7 oz Centennial (US) 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 10.5%
2.7 oz Simcoe (US) 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.0%
2.7 oz Amarillo (US) 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 9.3%

Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Attenuation
London Ale III Wyeast 1318 73.0%

Yeah I find 1318 ferments out super quick but that krausen just hangs around forever unless you give it a little swirl. After all it is a true "top cropping" yeast.

Yeah I've used both flaked oats from the LHBS and just grocery store oats. They are totally the same thing. The ones at the grocery store are just chopped up more. They taste the same too. I just get a big box of 9 lbs of the stuff from BJ's now.

Ditto, Ive used the Oats from homebrew shops, Quaker Oats and bulk Oats from Whole Foods. They all work well.

So this past Saturday was my girlfriends sisters wedding with my Hoppy Pale Ale on tap. The taps started pouring at 5pm and by 8:15pm all 15 gallons were kicked. I had person after person come up to me to say how amazing the beer was and how they've never had anything like it. More than one person said "What ingredients and flavor did you add to this?" They were shocked when I responded "Grain, hops, yeast, water". Apparently people are afraid of hops. One guy come up to me and say "Hi, I'm an investor in a local brewery. I just wanted to let you know that your beer is outstanding. I'd be proud to pour this at our brewery". Multiple people said I should start selling it because I'd make a killing.

I'd say that was a success. I owe you for all the advice Coff!

This is the recipe I used.

Mashed at 157-158. Started to ferment at 66 for 3 days then raised temp 1 degree per day to 70. I somehow managed 80% attenuation.

Thats awesome man, cheers!

I found this thread last week as I was trying to find a nice hoppy ale that didn't use the usual crystal malt. So after reading this and the blog I checked the available stocks and had flaked oats, S04 ale yeast and the right hops so I made it. :rockin:

Dry hopped her today and am looking forward to getting it packaged and through the taps.

OG - 1.048
FG - 1.010 ( fermented out in 4days @ 18c )
IBU - 33
SRM - 4.5

85% Golden Promise Ale
15% Flaked Oats

Mash Profile
34c/30m, 53c/20m, 65c/60m, 73c/15m, 78c/20m

60min boil

Columbus @ 60m
Amarillo, Centennial & Simcoe @ 5m
Amarillo, Centennial & Simcoe - Hop stand 10mins, whirl pooled 10mins

Yeast - SO4 re-hydrated 2 packets and pitched @ 17c

Dry Hopped ( what was left in each bag )
Amarillo 38g
Centennial 38g
Simcoe 30g

Will leave that for 5days at 19c and cold crash before kegging.

Thanks for the recipe and I will post a pic when its carbonated.

anyone having issues dry hopping 1318? i have one going right now and the krausen is still solid after 10 days (the beer reached FG in 4 days). i went ahead and dry hopped anyway and now the hops are just sitting on top of the krausen without much beer contact. ive tried raising temp and rousing every couple days with no luck. looking back, i probably should have cold crashed to drop the cake, then raised temp again to dry hop. hoping to get the right aroma on this one...

Brewed this 10 days ago and just took a sample hydrometer reading. OG: 1.042, currently at 1.010. I'll give another day or two at close to room temp to see if i can get a few more points before i dry hop.

Question: The sample i took was pretty plain tasting and almost had a lager feel. Will most of the hop flavor come from the dry hop? Should i be concerned? Did anyone else have the same results before the massive 6oz. dry hop?

I'm thinking of adding an extra ounce of hops after the dry hop to the keg as well.

Brewed this 10 days ago and just took a sample hydrometer reading. OG: 1.042, currently at 1.010. I'll give another day or two at close to room temp to see if i can get a few more points before i dry hop.

Question: The sample i took was pretty plain tasting and almost had a lager feel. Will most of the hop flavor come from the dry hop? Should i be concerned? Did anyone else have the same results before the massive 6oz. dry hop?

I'm thinking of adding an extra ounce of hops after the dry hop to the keg as well.

What yeast did you use? This beer does rely on a huge dry hop but I wouldnt say it tastes plain pre dry hop at all.

Just read through this entire thread. Used to live in Philly and loved TH so I'm excited to have this on tap.

Coff, is the recipe on the first page your latest and greatest in your opinion?

Just read through this entire thread. Used to live in Philly and loved TH so I'm excited to have this on tap.

I think their beers are actually getting better. Over the last year they've been putting out even better quality. Went there a few days ago. Alien Church IPA...wow

I just tapped a version with 1318 and have to agree with the other folks who have used it, it nails it in this beer. Whether thats the strain they use or not it gets you insanely close. I have had the most luck with 18% Oats, but the hopping imo is perfect.

It definitely shouldn't be "lager like" but clean isnt too surprising. S04 works well in this beer but it really comes together after the massive dry hop.

Any thoughts on adding an ounce of amarillo to the keg? Will that throw off the hop profile at all or just boost the tropical hop flavor a bit. First time kegging a homebrew tomorrow morning. THanks!

You should dry hop with two ounces each of amarillo Simcoe and Centennial

I already dry hopped it with 2 ounces of each. I'm talking about adding an ounce to the keg as I serve it for a little extra punch.

Ah, if you want to do that then go for it but I've made this recipe before and it's extremely punchy in the hop department already. I'm not sure if an ounce will be that impactful

You can always taste it first and see if it needs it!

I just gambled and added it in. 1 ounce of leaf Amarillo. Will be tasting with carbonation on Saturday but so far tastes great. Lots of grapefruit in my batch. Will report back with pics and notes.

Ah, if you want to do that then go for it but I've made this recipe before and it's extremely punchy in the hop department already. I'm not sure if an ounce will be that impactful

I agree with this.

But I would always taste it a see if it needs something else. But with 6oz of dry hops I cannot imagine it needing much more :)

Well, well... I tasted this today which was my first kegged brew. Wow! Taste is fresh tropical and citrusy hops.

Great recipe and really my first great homebrew. I've had hop hands a few times and think if I were to have a dead on clone Id have more oats added but nevertheless, this recipe tastes great. I may actually like mine more than hophands.

Thanks!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435449282.961801.jpg

What are people's thoughts on cold crashing this beer or fining it?

Mine was done fermenting yesterday and in the PET bottle it was a bright, hazy off-yellow color. Much like the real thing. Last night I decided to cold crash it down to 50 to hopefully compact the trub. This morning I checked it and now it's much more clear and a brownish color. Don't know what I really expected because of course that's what the cold crash does, but it doesn't really look like HopHands anymore. I'm still gonna dry hop it in the keg so maybe it will ultimately look different in the glass, but I'm wondering if I should have left the yeast and stuff in suspension? I used 1318 btw.

What are people's thoughts on cold crashing this beer or fining it?

Mine was done fermenting yesterday and in the PET bottle it was a bright, hazy off-yellow color. Much like the real thing. Last night I decided to cold crash it down to 50 to hopefully compact the trub. This morning I checked it and now it's much more clear and a brownish color. Don't know what I really expected because of course that's what the cold crash does, but it doesn't really look like HopHands anymore. I'm still gonna dry hop it in the keg so maybe it will ultimately look different in the glass, but I'm wondering if I should have left the yeast and stuff in suspension? I used 1318 btw.

The picture i posted above i dry hopped for a week then cold crashed for 24 hours @ 40 degrees before racking to keg. It was very clear and bright before dry hopping but after i have the hazy tired hands ipa look. I think the the dry hop will still give it a hazy color. I also added an extra ounce of keg hopping (amarillo).

Back