Cloning HopHands by Tired Hands Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going live with a blog post on this topic tomorrow.

Good to hear.
I'll be interested to see the difference between malt and flaked.

On a side note, I've got this locked in for next week.
Simcoe / Mosaic / Nelson-Sauvin.
I will be fining with Gelatin, as per my normal process though. (no sense in changing what works right?)
I'll also be using a different yeast, but more on that when I report back. :mug:

awesome! i've been wondering about this.

Me as well. Have an 20% oat malt beer queued up for this weekend ( where I'd otherwise use flaked oats), but not a side by side. However, Ed knows this recipe well so he surely will be well nuanced in the evaluation.

On a related note, has anyone done a side by side with a pale or ipa with malted white wheat and flaked wheat? Similar curiosity there, raw adjunct vs malted.

I've used flaked wheat vs white wheat in a side by side. It seemed the flaked wheat beer had more body. The white wheat beer had less body, but still plenty to suffice for the style I was shooting for.

Does anyone have a report yet on oat malt vs flaked oats? (As in, flavor or mouthfeel differences).

One thing to consider is that malted oats have a substantial husk. This can be a good thing, in that it really helps with runoff, similar to the way rice hulls do.

On the other hand, it can be tricky to mill because each grain is more narrow than malted barley. I tend to run it through twice but even then it isn't finely crushes. The other thing to consider is that if you're doing a 1:1 sub of malted oats for flaked oats, flaked oats are all "meat" and malted oats have this husk, so you may take an efficiency hit. I haven't measured that but common sense tells me that should be the case.

One thing to consider is that malted oats have a substantial husk. This can be a good thing, in that it really helps with runoff, similar to the way rice hulls do.

On the other hand, it can be tricky to mill because each grain is more narrow than malted barley. I tend to run it through twice but even then it isn't finely crushes. The other thing to consider is that if you're doing a 1:1 sub of malted oats for flaked oats, flaked oats are all "meat" and malted oats have this husk, so you may take an efficiency hit. I haven't measured that but common sense tells me that should be the case.

This is exactly my experience, good advice here.

looks like i'll be ordering some malted oats...anyone got a good supplier?

Thanks for the write up Ed! I just got my Oat Malt in the mail this week. Anxious to try it in a couple weeks on another try at HopWards with Mosaic instead of Simcoe. I'll definitely double crush that Oat Malt separately. Using Breiss 2 row this time as well instead of CMC Pale Malt.

What final gravities have people been getting with 1318? I think my last few have been ending up higher than normal.

Using a fresh pack of 1318 mine went from 1.054 to 1.012. Gonna try the harvested yeast on the next batch.

My most recent experience with 1318 stepped up 2nd generation with a starter took a 1.088 down to 1.012 in about 15 days in the high 60sF ambient temp.

Yes mines started at 1.060 and only made it to 1.028 kept it at 66 for 9 days

I've found after about 6 ferments with 1318 (new pack each time) that it needs a temp rise after about 7 days to get it to finish out. At least in any reasonable amount of time. I'll add that I've been pitching 1.75L starters w/pure o2 and yeast nutrient.

I just pulled a gravity sample after 5 days when fermentation had slowed considerably and I was only at 1.024 from 1.063. I threw a heat blanket and brought it up into the low 70s so I can get to dry hopping.

I've found after about 6 ferments with 1318 (new pack each time) that it needs a temp rise after about 7 days to get it to finish out. At least in any reasonable amount of time. I'll add that I've been pitching 1.75L starters w/pure o2 and yeast nutrient.

I just pulled a gravity sample after 5 days when fermentation had slowed considerably and I was only at 1.024 from 1.063. I threw a heat blanket and brought it up into the low 70s so I can get to dry hopping.

I do basically this, but I bump the temp as soon as 5 days after pitching.

Brewed this today as 3.5 gallon BIAB but hit some snags. Efficiency lower than normal and missed my preboil gravity, 1.036 instead of 1.040. Put in some DME to get me back on track. Ended up with 4 gallons in the fermenter when I was planning for 3.5. Oh well, life goes on, beer will be made. Thanks for the recipe Coff!

Brewed this today as 3.5 gallon BIAB but hit some snags. Efficiency lower than normal and missed my preboil gravity, 1.036 instead of 1.040. Put in some DME to get me back on track. Ended up with 4 gallons in the fermenter when I was planning for 3.5. Oh well, life goes on, beer will be made. Thanks for the recipe Coff!

Did you do it with the rolled oats or malted oats? If malted, did you double crush separately or just a single crush mixed in?

Rolled oats. Forgot to ask the shop to double crush, maybe that would've helped my efficiency. Usually average 80% but this is my first time using oats.

I think my problem was I used oat malt didn't get a double crush and I used flaked oats. Next time no flaked oats and double crush

If using WLP007, should I allow to mash slightly higher?
I was thinking 154F? Or will i still get a similar 1.012 FG?

yeah...or higher. my last few session ipas were fermented with 007.

mash temp 156: 1.011
mash temp 152: 1.009

What final gravities have people been getting with 1318? I think my last few have been ending up higher than normal.

Nevermind! It just needed a few more days. It was at 1.015 for about 2 days but now it's down to 1.010. First time fermenting 1318 at the upper end of its range.

yeah...or higher. my last few session ipas were fermented with 007.

mash temp 156: 1.011
mash temp 152: 1.009

Thanks Atom.
I've been able to track down a pack of 1318 on overnight delivery. so should be good to go for the weekend.

If all goes well, I'll be re-using the yeast for a Little Sumpin Sumpin Clone as well.

Off topic question for this yeast. whats it like for Darker English style beer (something Like an Oatmeal Stout or Robust Porter)

Well to be fair milkshake is a boatload of hops AND fruit - plus some vanilla. With all those solids in the fermenter, I bet the yield is atrocious to boot. So yeah, it's an expensive ass beer to make.

Anyone try to clone their milkshake IPA yet? At $24/4 pk might be a worthwhile attempt

Yeah I did a coffee milkshake a while back. 70% pils, 20% wheat, 10% oats. I think the real thing is 60% pils, 20% wheat, 10% oats, 10% dextrose, plus enough lactose to raise the OG by ~12 points. Mid 1.050s OG. Basically the same hopping regimen as HopHands but more hops and with whatever combo you want. 2lbs fruit/gallon and 2-3 vanilla beans.

It is such an absurd price. $6/can?? 37 cents/ounce? Screw that. And on top of it they're not even going through distribution.

and on top of that the cans have nice chunky yeast through the whole thing and are oxidized immediately. Until they nail down their canning process, on tap is really the only way to go with them. Even kegs distributed throughout the city seem off to me.

Yeah I did a coffee milkshake a while back. 70% pils, 20% wheat, 10% oats. I think the real thing is 60% pils, 20% wheat, 10% oats, 10% dextrose, plus enough lactose to raise the OG by ~12 points. Mid 1.050s OG. Basically the same hopping regimen as HopHands but more hops and with whatever combo you want. 2lbs fruit/gallon and 2-3 vanilla beans.

and on top of that the cans have nice chunky yeast through the whole thing and are oxidized immediately. Until they nail down their canning process, on tap is really the only way to go with them. Even kegs distributed throughout the city seem off to me.

You think the Oats are that low? You said before you have the Ominipollo recipe, is that the bill? Just seems weird that TH would use such a small portion of Oats, especially after he said on Steal this Beer they have a beer thats 40% Oats.

Ive tried my hand at the Milkshake beers, just once but it turned out awful.

You think the Oats are that low? You said before you have the Ominipollo recipe, is that the bill? Just seems weird that TH would use such a small portion of Oats, especially after he said on Steal this Beer they have a beer thats 40% Oats.

Ive tried my hand at the Milkshake beers, just once but it turned out awful.

Yeah this is the Omnipollo one. Wheat, lactose, 1318 and water profile make up for it. I've been moving away from oats and more towards wheat (or a mix of both) with the same effect (also splitting the base 50/50 pils/pale). The whole NE style is more than oats. I don't think their milkshake recipe is the one with 40%.

Latest posts

Back