Cloning Ayinger Ur-Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilDeadAsh

Reaction score
My googling has failed to find a clone of this beer, so I would like to give it a shot myself.

I have a very basic idea of what might be going into it, but wondering a few things about yeast choice, fermentation temp, pitch rate, and mash schedule.

It's a dunkelweiss, so I was thinking a simple grain bill with 5-7% crystal and then a 50/50 split of wheat/munich. So here's my first question: Decoct or not?

I have spent the last few days reading about decoction and have come to the understanding that decoction was initially needed due to the quality of the malt, but with today's well modified malts - not really needed. I also understand that the general consensus is while decoction is not needed people generally agree there is a noticeable quality of taste that can't quite be duplicated just from the grain bill and a "traditional" single infusion.

Next up, the yeast:
I've gone back and forth between Wyeast 3068 vs 3333. They have similar descriptions on Wyeast's site, but I'm not familiar with either.

As for the yeast - I know you can manipulate the banana/clove balance from the pitch rate as well as fermentation temperatures. I don't have a good understanding of how this is done.

I think it goes on a scale of banana > clove where banana esters are at the lower temperatures, with clove phenols at the top. Is that right? How does pitch rate play into all of this - do I want to underpitch?

The TL;DR:
Trying to clone Ayinger Ur-Weisse. Looking for a grain bill, mash schedule, and yeast selection.

Bananas at higher temps and clove at lower.

I think the less you pitch, the more of each of the above you get, but I'm not certain. I know under-pitching does increase esthers, but I'm not sure about the phenols.

This is the only beer so far I want to clone.
It is my favorite commercial beer.

I'm guessing it's munich/wheat with about 10% crystal.

Back