Clogless Transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsmann

Reaction score
Over the years there has always been a ton of discussion about hoppy beers clogging dip tubes, auto siphons, and poppets on the kegs. Lately I have been making a high % of NEIPA’s and my most recent 5 gallon batch had well over 10oz of hops with a decent amount in double dry hopping. Like many people here, I use glass carboys and throw the hops directly in the vessel. Between the hob debris/trub & inactive yeast, there is plenty of stuff floating around in the carboy come transfer time. I’ve had my share of “clogging” issues in doing both auto siphon transfers and closed CO2 transfers and have been trying hard to find something that works perfectly for me and insures a clean transfer 100% of the time. Finally last night my dream came true and I really give all the credit to a single piece of equipment I found online. At $35, it may rank as my best brewing purchases ever.

It’s nothing more than a tubular filter that slides perfectly into your glass carboy. I had to cut it down about an inch to sit flush with the top of my 6 gallon vessel so that I could pop the carboy cap on the top for my closed transfer system. Other than that it was good to go and I transferred 5 gallons to my keg in 13 minutes without any hint of clogging or resistance. It was like heaven. I have no ties to this company, but I do HIGHLY recommend the product. I included some pictures from my transfer last night just to show how it looks in actual setup.

AUTO SIPHON FILTER / DIP TUBE FILTER
1 1/8" Diameter x 21" Tall
https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#siphontubes

Attachments

• 20190418_162640.jpg
    20190418_162640.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
  • 20190418_162827.jpg
    20190418_162827.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • 20190418_164830.jpg
    20190418_164830.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • 20190418_164843.jpg
    20190418_164843.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
That looks really good and useful.

If you're like me and start siphoning from the middle of the fermenter, lowering the cane as the beer level drops, and stop the transfer as soon as you start sucking up yeast, you'll get the cleanest possible beer in your kegs.

That looks really good and useful.

If you're like me and start siphoning from the middle of the fermenter, lowering the cane as the beer level drops, and stop the transfer as soon as you start sucking up yeast, you'll get the cleanest possible beer in your kegs.
The beauty of this is thing is that I can put the cane just off the bottom and never adjust it because of the filter. It makes the process brainless to get the cleanest beer possible!

Back