Clogged drain line on Mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalc6927

Reaction score
Had my drain line running from elbow on false bottom to the valve clog up with grain this weekend, was a pain in the butt

I had to pour the whole thing into fermenter then remove and clear the line

What would cause this to happen?

My 5th batch and hasn't happened before

Thanks

Hard to tell from here, I had clogged mlt when doing decoction, due to high mash temperature.
It could be false bottom or mlt design, too fine grist, mash temperature.. any changes from usual setup?

It's an Octoberfest, and don't think I changed much?

The only thing I think that was different was I opened the valve all the way instead of slowly, but sure that makes any difference

If you just opened it full bore right away you may have compacted the bed and pulled enough vacuum to stop flow.

In the event of a clog, a narrow wood skewer through the valve and tubing can often unclog without having to actually move the mash. Backflushing a bit can work too. Makes sure to vorlauf after though.

Maybe get a bag to fit your MLT. With a bag, no grain can get below your FB to clog the dip tube. Can also make clean up easier. Quite a few people do this. Wilser will make you a bag custom fit to your MLT for a very reasonable price.

Brew on :mug:

Back