Clementines are in season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReDim

Reaction score
Slightly confused by Clementine-mead recipes I found online. Any-one had any luck ?

I am thinking of using equal parts Clementines and Honey, 12% alcohol - 18% yeast tolerance.

9 lbs clementines (Primary/Secondary)?
10 lbs Honey

Do I need to deal with acidity and PH ?

Clementine zest ?

Fruit bomb it by using both primary and secondary. You can use the skins, but make sure there's no white pith on it. Not sure about the pH.

There are various ways of doing things, but some add citrus directly to primary while others add to secondary. With very sour things, like lemons, adding to primary can be a big problem due to PH, but for less sour things it might be a benefit as certain fruit can provide a source for much needed nutriens.

It depends a bit on the PH of the honey as well, but it's generally a good idea to keep the PH of the must above 2-3.

And as mentioned, the white pith is loaded with bitterness.

Agreed on the white pith. Otherwise haven't had an issue with them. Did a JAOM minus the clove and used clementine and it's great. Running a little hot but that's not stopping bottles from disappearing!

Clementines have been in the shops for 2 months already.

It's the blood oranges I'm after. Found the first ones in the shop two days ago!

Yes.. blood oranges. And cara cara, though I don't have ideas on that.

I'm foreseeing another blackberry mead (round 2) with blood orange in the secondary... :3

Add citrus fruit to the secondary, just cause of pH.

don't bother with clementine peels. It'll be a ***** to seperate the pitch because the peels are so damned fragile. :)

Yes.. blood oranges. And cara cara, though I don't have ideas on that.

I'm foreseeing another blackberry mead (round 2) with blood orange in the secondary... :3

Add citrus fruit to the secondary, just cause of pH.

don't bother with clementine peels. It'll be a ***** to seperate the pitch because the peels are so damned fragile. :)

You ever hang a blood orange over a litre of vodka and let it sit for a month or two?

Back