Clearing a beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manisfive

Reaction score
I brewed I Saison I brewed last weekend. I am really wanting to have kegged and ready to drink in another two weeks. The hydrometer reading was at 1.002. So it has ate through most of the sugars. I realized that the yeast could still have quite a bit of cleaning up to do. I used the belle saison dry yeast. My question is how should I go about conditioning it from here forward. I have a mini fridge that has been converted into a keggerator. I could try to finish off the beer in the keg and put the whole carboy in the keg for a few days or I could rack it to the keg and let it cold crash there. If I put it in the keg should I go ahead an carbonate or wait a few days. I have also considered using something like super kleer to try to get the beer to clean up. I know I had read somewhere that filtering a beer will clear out some of the "green beer" flavors. While super kleer is not filtering it might be close. Has anybody had any experience with super kleer? Or I could just wait another three weeks and Keg then. I know that is the consensus among most brewers. Time heals "green beer" wounds.

In summary, I am asking for people (who have had experience with turning a beer from grains to glass maybe just a little quicker than normal) for any advice.

Just wait another week, then rack to your keg. Chill the keg overnight and then carbonate it. I use the shake method but the beer never usually tastes it's best until it's been carbonated for at least a week. Why does it need to be clear? If you rack well, the let it clear the rest of the way in the keg and only the first few glasses will be cloudy. I never worry about crystal clear beer if it tastes great! I have used Super-Kleer for wine but never beer. Despite their claims, it can take a little time for Super-Kleer to clear things up.

My best suggestion:

T-0 serving day
T-7 rack to get and get on the CO2
T-9 start cold crash before kegging
T-10+ let yeast clean up, you can even increase the temp a few degrees to give em a hand

Some haziness is acceptable in a Saison, with the BJCP style guide stating that clarity is "poor to good."

As for being able to "clean up" green beer flavors, I'm convinced that conditioning time is the only way to go about doing that.

I could be very wrong though.

Some green flavors can be mitigated with proper pitch rates and temperature management. To clear quickly without finings cold crashing, while carbonating in the keg, is usually an effective method. Kyle

Back