clearest wit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lari

Reaction score
just bottled a witbier and its the clearest beer ive ever made without any finings. looks like pilsner. havent tasted it yet but i dont have great expctations for it.
50% pils 50% unmalted wheat. i would think there would be tons of protein in suspension to make it look cloudy but its super bright.
any ideas?

just bottled a witbier and its the clearest beer ive ever made without any finings. looks like pilsner. havent tasted it yet but i dont have great expctations for it.
50% pils 50% unmalted wheat. i would think there would be tons of protein in suspension to make it look cloudy but its super bright.
any ideas?

Although there are a lot of proteins there from the wheat, they do eventually settle to the bottom (just like on bottled wheat beers).

I was pondering this one day too if you keg them, and some members said that flipping the keg upside down for a few days, then bring back up-right will put the proteins/yeast back in suspension for the cloudy look.

If you bottled, just swirl the last bit when pouring.

I have a bottle of 1-year old wit that is pretty darn clear. Everything settled out.

How long did it sit before bottling? Did you use Irish moss in your boil on accident?

If you bottled it clear, then the proteins are probably not in the bottle to be swirled up as the previous poster suggested. That would only work in my case, where everything settled out in the bottle.

I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you're entering it into a competition.

10 days primary then straight to bottles - super clear wit.
i've made witbier before and it had a beautiful white cloudy appearance without swirling the yeast. maybe theres some protein deficiency here. mash too low/too high with dodgy thermometer? will wait and see how it tastes after carbonating.

Back