Clearance Bin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Checked out the clearance bin for beer this afternoon at the QFC. Remember the old song on Sesame Street?

One of these things is not like the other... one of these things just doesn't belong...

Clearance-Beer.jpg

So you bought the only Labatt's in the bin... ;)

That is one nice "bargain bin" lol. I have had some interesting bargain bin finds. I got a 12 of 22oz. NB Ranger IPA that was well out of prime for $10.

One of my recent discoveries is Hinterland's - Winterland, a stout infused with juniper berries. It is actually a great brew and aged for 6 months not bad at all. I am getting them for $4.99 a 4 pack of pints, normally they are double that. I am waiting on the SN Bigfoot to hit the bin in the same store for 1/2 price...lol. :D

I just picked up a couple 22s of Maharaja for 25% off. Score one for the clearance bin! There were some of those *Alcoholic Energy Drinks* in the bin too, but for some reason I passed on them :)

The Chimay was about $7. I think $5 for the Pistoles. I picked up some of the Chimay. This store takes beer like this, Orval, some others and they sell it off really cheap when they think it's starting to "get old". LOL

Nice! I thought I got a steal when my Kroger kept putting Big Eddies and two hearted in the 8.99 pick six. Big Eddie was 13 a 4 and 2 hearted 11.49 per 6 an aisle over.

It's usually a shopping cart full of Mikkeller's where I go. They'll mark down the 12 oz single hop ipa's from $10 each to $9 each. I wish that beer would go away, it takes away a lot of prime cooler space.

Heck, most of those beers improve with age anyway. Wish there was a clearance bin at the bottle shops I frequent.

Exactly! I still have some Orval I bought there that was "getting old" 3 or 4 years ago and they sold me for a few bucks.

Nice! Mine is mostly not so promising, but this spring they threw in a lot of 12oz Corsendonk Christmas Ale ($2.99) and Scaldis Noel ($3.99). Some is still there, actually.

I've had some pretty bad beers come out of those clearance bins. The one and only time I tried trois pistols comes to mind. Not sure if I just didn't like the beer or it had been improperly stored. However some beers I got out of the same bin were perfectly fine. I don't find clearance beers too much anywhere but sometimes I find a ridiculously discounted six pack of harp or something similar that's good to have on hand for hot days or non-craft drinkers.

I used to pick up clearance beer out of the cart, but I got burned a couple of times with corks crumbling and gusher bottles. However, I did score two cases (24pk) of Pranqster for $14/ea when they normally sell for ~$7.50 a 4pk. I would have purchased more, but that was all they had.

Back