Clear Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_shredder

Reaction score
Hi,

first Thread so be gentle if im in the wrong Section.

In the last time i´ve brewed a lot of Neipas where my goal was to make it as Hazy as possible. But my next beer will be a Pistonhead Flat Tire Clone. I want it to become as clear as possible. Just a easy drinking low ABV (4.5%) Pale ale. Fermentation is happening inside a Firmzilla which i am able to cold crush in a Fridge. So that is not the Problem. But i have no experience with "clear" yeasts or what i can do to make the beer clear.
So if you have any Tipps and recommendations i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Some yeasts clear better/faster/more completely than others. Time is a factor, of course. You can buy additives to help clear the beer as well. There are lots of choices.

Most FT clones use White Labs WLP051 or Wyeast 1272. US05 for dry. Strange to me that a beer based on a Belgian style would use American ale yeast, but that seems to be the standard issue for a Fat Tire clone.. The only real Belgian recommendation I’ve seen was for Wyeast 3655. I saw a description of FT by Renegade Brewing that claimed it was bottom fermented - which would suggest lager yeast.

Flat Tire is not an ale but a dry hopped lager. Really not an easy drinking pale ale.

Clear beer is more than just yeast selection. If you're using an ale yeast, aim for at least 100ppm Calcium, use kettle finings (whirlfloc/irish moss/carrageenan), chill as rapidly as possible and make sure your mash and boil pH is in a good range (mash pH in the 5.2 to 5.6 range). Dry hopping always adds a bit of haze. Gelatin or other finings can be used to get the beer crystal clear after cold crashing, but only works properly if the pH during mash and boil was good to start with. Also, make sure conversion is complete during the mash - starch haze doesn't go away. If all else fails, Miraculix gave the foolproof answer - you wait.

Flat Tire is not an ale but a dry hopped lager. Really not an easy drinking pale ale.
Fat Tire is one of those beers, like Yuengling, that is pretty nondescript until you occasionally get the exceptional example that is the right freshness and temp at the right time and it makes me go, "Hmmm".

Fat Tire is one of those beers, like Yuengling, that is pretty nondescript until you occasionally get the exceptional example that is the right freshness and temp at the right time and it makes me go, "Hmmm".
Not Fat Tire but Flat Tire. Different beers.

Mash recirculation.
Nottingham yeast.
Cold conditioning, before bottling.
Maybe gelatin, but just if you're comfortable with it. I don't use, and got some crystal clear beers, without even trying.
And patience, usually takes time.

Not Fat Tire but Flat Tire. Different beers.
Oh. Ok. I thought you were making a joke with the name. Never experienced a beer called Flat Tire.
1628635972196.jpeg

I shall now pursue the brand.

*After some web research… maybe not.
https://boakandbailey.com/2014/06/world-lager-disguised-as-craft-beer/

Last edited:
Also think about chill haze, as it is something that is hard to completely get rid off as a homebrewer. There are good news though, as most often just letting the bottles sit cool/cold for a week or so will drop out the proteins and let it clear up. So just have a little patience.

Latest posts

Back