Clear beer draught/closed transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you pressurizing the source vessel or cross-connecting the gas posts of both vessels during transfer? That is, is it possible that you are fighting a vacuum in the source as it drains or pressurizing the target vessel as it fills?

Do you have the receiving keg's gas post going into a bucket/container of StarSan (with QD and tubing of course, not tipping the keg into it ;)). I used this method last transfer from fermenter and it didn't seem to take any longer to do the move. Then again, I've never timed these things. Maybe I will with the batch I brewed today and the one coming up Friday, when it's time to put them into kegs.

I just transferred from a fermentation to serving keg tonight.

Ferm-keg has a clear draught floating dip tube, with a mesh screen attachment on the business end, along with the SS float.

Used 12 psi to push, as that's my default on the regulator.

Using a spunding valve on the serving keg gas post, took about 10 mins.

I kept the spund blow off set around 4 PSI

I tend to have my pressures a bit higher, but I'm normally transferring carbed beer, so I keep pressure about 2 psi less in the keg than fermenter. You can use the " blowoff gas " to purge another keg if you want.
It does take more time than you would be led to believe by all of the videos. I find about 30 minutes for 20 litres. Quicker if you can get a bit of height difference but most of the time that isn't the case.

I messed up the connection to the “out” tube. That was my problem. Totally freaked out for a minute and thought I messed up something with the clear beer system. Not the case. My own dumb mistake

I messed up the connection to the “out” tube. That was my problem. Totally freaked out for a minute and thought I messed up something with the clear beer system. Not the case. My own dumb mistake
Oh I make a lot of mistakes with brewing.... unless the fridge is empty - then things seem to go fine, weird🤔

Back