Cleaning/sanitising copper manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherT515

Reaction score
I was recently given an old cooler converted mash-tun that my friend's Dad no longer intended on using. This will not be my first AG batch, but the first run on this new system. I was wondering if there were any techniques that I should know about for cleaning and sanitising the copper manifold that is used for the lauter/sparge? I've just never dealt with copper before... Surely somebody on here has.

Thanks in advance.

If only heated sparge water is running through it some would say dont worry about cleaning it. It is after all pre boil. But if you insist almost any of the cleaners out there should work(pbw b-brite etc). Not sure on sanitizing, personally i would not bother.

Just a good rinse is all ya need. I usually partially fill my tun with warm water (initial runoff from my chiller), soak it while finishing up the brewday, then open my valve and let it run dry. Rinse once more with the hose to remove any particles, and call it a day. About once every 6 months or so, I take apart the ball valve/manifold assembly, soak it in PBW and thoroughly clean.

Acid bath, either StarSan or light vinegar solution, will clean copper up nicely. It doesn't need to be spotless but you don't really want green copper oxide or dark spots on it.

Back